PDA

View Full Version : Lets light it up!

Sh0velman
12/26/2011, 02:00 AM
So ill soon be starting my first sw tank with the guidance of 3 years of research and tips/ experience from members of the rc chat.
The tank will be a 20 gallon tall tank (24" long). I need any suggestions for lighting that you may have.
I am looking to keep easy corals such as mushrooms, leathers, zoas, xenia, and GSP... would like to keep it at 100$ or lower if possible.

So any recommendations as to Led systems or t5 systems or whatever you would use to light the tank, please don't hesitate to put your input here! Thanks guys and gals

CandisGray
12/26/2011, 07:06 AM
I you want to keep it cheap a t5 retro fit with 4 bulbs or a used metal halide form craislist or ebay should be fine led for that size tank will generally be somewhere in $300 dollar range. ebay has a current aquapod 150 mh for less than $125 hope this helps

CandisGray
12/26/2011, 07:09 AM
ps the led will be a diy kit

sbeason
12/26/2011, 09:13 AM
You can find a simple t5 fixture for $100 of less that would more than satisfy the planned corals for tour tank and even be fine for the future if you decide to go into sps. No need to buy a mh and fight rising water temp. I am sure you could also find a DIY led kit that would be fine as well.

CandisGray
12/26/2011, 09:32 AM
The reason for suggesting the mh was the possibility of keeping more light hungry corals and inverts such as clams,acro, and things of that such but not as a necessity.

Ward1
12/26/2011, 05:05 PM
rapidled.com has some real nice complete DIY set ups that would work well. The price is great too. That way as you progress and want some diferant stuff you won't be limited by your lighting.

Sh0velman
12/26/2011, 06:08 PM
Hey guys and gals! Thanks for the replies! I think ill just find myself a t5 light fixture as it seems to be the least pricy, and plus the bulbs would make good birthday presents ;) I'm also not terribly good with DIY put together kits...although im trying to learn more about led's i think i found a light that would be great for the corals i wish to keep!
http://www.marineandreef.com/WavePoint_T5_24_HO_Aquarium_Lighting_Fixture_p/rwp01001.htm
Also with the purchase of this unit, i can send in a fom to receive a free moonlight strip as wave point is giving them out to who ever purchases their 4 bulb t5 ho lights, so thats a plus for going over the 100$ i wanted to spend, not to mention i think with that 4 bulb t5 ho lighting i might be able to get away with some LPS as well with the softies.....call me crazy but i don't really care for SPS corals all that much...
Please let me know what you think! Thanks guys!

CandisGray
12/26/2011, 07:48 PM
Glad we could all help sps will do fine as long as they are high in the water colum

SC Reefaholic
12/26/2011, 09:10 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2110748

Sh0velman
12/27/2011, 09:30 AM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2110748

That link isn't working for me...

Sh0velman
12/27/2011, 04:13 PM
Or would this less pricey unit be suitable for soft corals? On a specific note, Ricordea mushrooms?
http://www.marineandreef.com/Nova_Extreme_T5_Aquarium_Lighting_Current_USA_p/rcu01124.htm

CandisGray
12/27/2011, 07:34 PM
In my option ricordia are as hard as sps it seems like the ones I get come from somebody with a mh fixture but that is my opinion. The current fixture isn't a bad fixture at all I have a 36 in 4 bulb and a 48 4 bulb on our tank it is a 110 Gallon tall which is 30 in tall still looking for the right combo of bulbs but so far the factory bulbs are doing just fine but starting to lose spectrum only a year old. If you do mushrooms and zoos that should be fine just think about placement. Only reason I stress placement is I have been down that road to many times before and am still driving on it. Just remember to listen to what your corals have to tel you. They are very smart little creatures.

Sh0velman
12/28/2011, 12:04 AM
In my option ricordia are as hard as sps it seems like the ones I get come from somebody with a mh fixture but that is my opinion. The current fixture isn't a bad fixture at all I have a 36 in 4 bulb and a 48 4 bulb on our tank it is a 110 Gallon tall which is 30 in tall still looking for the right combo of bulbs but so far the factory bulbs are doing just fine but starting to lose spectrum only a year old. If you do mushrooms and zoos that should be fine just think about placement. Only reason I stress placement is I have been down that road to many times before and am still driving on it. Just remember to listen to what your corals have to tel you. They are very smart little creatures.

Thank you very much, your point of view really helped! I think ill try that second 2 bulb fixture i posted and deal with some easy low light basic corals, as i actually find them most attractive...