PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Tiny Mantis Shrimps ?

Kharn
12/27/2011, 06:58 AM
G'day all =)

I have read Dr. Caldwells threads on shipping stomatopods but can't help but worry about a particular unknown species that I am looking to get sent from another state too me...it would be in travel for less then 12hrs but it may be less then 1inch long...its very hard for him to get a decent pic of it with his camera.

Any ideas of shipping TINY stomatopods ?

Cheers

Gonodactylus
12/27/2011, 09:24 AM
If it is 2-3 cm long, a spring water bottle, 250 - 375 ml, works well. Just make sure that it has never contained anything but water. Fill about 1/3 full of sea water. Oxygen is not necessary. I like to add a small square of plastic screen about 3x3 cm to give the animal something to hold on to... This time of year in Brisbane I would watch the weather forecast and avoid shipping on days when the temperatures are projected to get over 27 C.

Roy

Kharn
12/27/2011, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the input Dr. Caldwell!

I have read your shipping posts over and over =) and will aim for the seller/supplier to send it overnight so we don't run into the heat problem (thats what the guy in darwin did for the L.mac I got a month back!).

I actually would of assumed you to turn around and say, don't bother...LOL because of the mantis tiny size...but until I can get it too myself here I can't provide a decent pic....all I can say is that from the crap pics I saw.....it is a unique looking mantis......

More to come thanks again for your input as always it is invaluable!

Kharn
12/27/2011, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the input Dr. Caldwell!

I have read your shipping posts over and over =) and will aim for the seller/supplier to send it overnight so we don't run into the heat problem (thats what the guy in darwin did for the L.mac I got a month back!).

I actually would of assumed you to turn around and say, don't bother...LOL because of the mantis tiny size...but until I can get it too myself here I can't provide a decent pic....all I can say is that from the crap pics I saw.....it is a unique looking mantis......

More to come thanks again for your input as always it is invaluable!

Kharn
12/27/2011, 05:52 PM
Silly double posting -_-

Just heard back from the supplier....mantis is dead...

"Hey Mate,

Checked the shrimp in the container this morning and it was dead, must have gotten stressed out."

No idea how it happened not much details about it in the message, he did take a pick of it whilst it was in a glass cup of his tanks water, if he left it in the glass overnight could that of been the likely cause (it what I am thinking) but at the same time I have heard of you (Dr. Caldwell) keeping tiny mantis shrimps in cup containers (I might be wrong..) but again! I assume that you would do this with the a LOT of care where I assume this guy would of just dumped it in the cup and then left the cup somewhere "exposed" to air pollution....