PDA

View Full Version : leaving water in RO/DI

Danzig
12/27/2011, 04:22 PM
i tested out my RO/DI a week ago just to check it out and its been sitting around with water in it for a week. Will this hurt anything?

Mark Bianco
12/27/2011, 05:29 PM
Water will go stagnet after a while (How long I am not sure) unless you keep it stired Here whats you do find the smallest or any submergable pump you have and throw it in the container. and either let run 24/7 or put it on a timer say 30 minutes on and 30 minutes off. It will keep that way for weeks.

Mark

Danzig
12/27/2011, 05:37 PM
That wasnt really a definitive answer but ok. Does everyone else empty the water out of their RODI units? Im just wondering if leaving water in it will burn through my DI resin or damage my RO membrane or other media cartridges.

anderson0196
12/27/2011, 05:41 PM
You can leave the water in the unit.

You will get TDS creep between uses. If you have a flush line hooked up to the unit you can and should flush it for a few minutes before each use which will preserve your DI.

You can also leave it in a storage tank (Brute can) without circulation.

It is best to make as much as possible each time you turn it on. This is more efficient then many on/off cycles.

anderson0196
12/27/2011, 05:42 PM
Double post

Danzig
12/27/2011, 06:33 PM
You can leave the water in the unit.

You will get TDS creep between uses. If you have a flush line hooked up to the unit you can and should flush it for a few minutes before each use which will preserve your DI.

You can also leave it in a storage tank (Brute can) without circulation.

It is best to make as much as possible each time you turn it on. This is more efficient then many on/off cycles.

ok good just wanted to make sure.

Misled
12/27/2011, 06:43 PM
Just to be clear, "NEVER" drain the water between uses. The membrane must be kept wet.

Danzig
12/27/2011, 07:29 PM
Just to be clear, "NEVER" drain the water between uses. The membrane must be kept wet.

Why is that? And the membrane is dry when you first buy it isnt it?

Misled
12/27/2011, 07:43 PM
No, a membrane is in a sealed wrapper and has moisture in it. If a membrane drys out it can crack and split.

The Codfather
12/27/2011, 07:47 PM
I didn't know that, learn something new everyday.

Misled
12/27/2011, 08:00 PM
If you're hooking up the RO/DI to a sink, just raise the lines above the RO/DI. If it's on an ATO, the water is always there. I hook mine to a hose bib. I have valves on the supply, waste, and good water lines and keep them off when the unit isn't in use. My membrane is 4 years old.

zigzag1
12/27/2011, 08:24 PM
Water will go stagnet after a while (How long I am not sure) unless you keep it stired Here whats you do find the smallest or any submergable pump you have and throw it in the container. and either let run 24/7 or put it on a timer say 30 minutes on and 30 minutes off. It will keep that way for weeks.

Mark

Total misinformation. Water does NOT go bad by sitting still.

Danzig
12/27/2011, 10:38 PM
If you're hooking up the RO/DI to a sink, just raise the lines above the RO/DI. If it's on an ATO, the water is always there. I hook mine to a hose bib. I have valves on the supply, waste, and good water lines and keep them off when the unit isn't in use. My membrane is 4 years old.

yah im using it with a sink thanks for the info!

Danzig
12/27/2011, 10:39 PM
Total misinformation. Water does NOT go bad by sitting still.

It didn't really make sense to me either, which is why i didn't pay much attention to it.

SoLiD
12/27/2011, 10:45 PM
It's the air introduced into water containers that promotes bacterial growth thus producing a sulphur stinky smell. That's what he probably meant. No air, no smelly water. Yes, it's better to keep everything wet with water. DI resin will get used up and go bad if it's exposed to air. It reacts with the CO2 in the air.

Danzig
12/27/2011, 11:57 PM
It's the air introduced into water containers that promotes bacterial growth thus producing a sulphur stinky smell. That's what he probably meant. No air, no smelly water. Yes, it's better to keep everything wet with water. DI resin will get used up and go bad if it's exposed to air. It reacts with the CO2 in the air.

ok i see, and as always thanks solid!