PDA

View Full Version : Tank replacement suggestions, please

NatureNerd
12/27/2011, 08:12 PM
I would like some advice please... I have a very old 75g. It has been setup for almost 16 yrs. It has a few of scratches on the front glass that are really starting to bug me. The stand it is on is showing its age too. Any suggestions on where to get a glass tank to replace it?

I like the the old tank's dimensions in that I can reach the bottom to do maintenance. It is 48" long X 18" wide X 21" tall. I will have no smaller than a 75g. I could go a bit bigger. It would be nice to have a little more width. The length is okay. The wall it will go on is only about 70" long, so I can't go much longer and still get to one side of the tank. I am surprised to see no one makes a 48" X 20" X 22" tall tank. Or a 48" X 22" X 22" tall tank.

I want a high quality reef ready with the overflow in the center or right side (as you face the tank). Everyone (Aqueon, Oceanic, and others) seems to put it on the left. The tank is enjoyed from the front and the left side.

I also care about the stand and canopy. My wife and I want good furniture quality. I live in Northern California, Bay Area, so local sources would be good. Any help is appreciated.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n299/JJohn_photos/TankPlacement.jpg

GrampaDon
12/27/2011, 09:58 PM
Looks like custom is the route to go then.
And I like a 24in width ,say 48x24x20 or 22H :beer:

NatureNerd
12/28/2011, 12:20 AM
Looks like custom is the route to go then.
And I like a 24in width ,say 48x24x20 or 22H :beer:

Thanks. A little more width would make a big difference for my SPS's. I kind of figured I might have to go custom. I just don't know how to do that, and who to trust. My LFS might be able to set something up, but again, I would not know how reliable the makers were. I want something that will take me through the next 15 years and still look good.

Do you know of any reliable custom tank makers who could also supply a solid stand and canopy? Before anyone argues about canopies, I think my wife wants the light in the tank not shining all over the room. Since she puts up with this expensive, time consuming, and room consuming hobby, I'll gladly grant her that, and I like them too.