PDA

View Full Version : Sick clown fish, need diagnosis/treatment advice.

BCreefmaker
12/27/2011, 08:43 PM
My clowns have not been eating well for about a week now. A few days ago they started showing signs of what I think is a type of parasite? The only change in their appearance is they are getting skinny and the male is loosing his pigment. The female had 3 spots on her, bet they are gone. I do not think it was ich. It looked more like scales knocked out of place from scraping on things. The behavioral changes are: less interest in food, first the female and now the male. Sometime when they eat they also shake their head or do a kind of submissive seizure, even the female. They were also scraping against the sand and rocks, the female a visible scratches on her head. But they have not been scraping recently. They also spend much of their time at the bottom of the tank.

I have no idea what the best treatment to start them off on is.

snorvich
12/28/2011, 07:47 AM
Losing coloration is often due to the sheen of velvet. Please read my blog for treatment of velvet.

BCreefmaker
12/28/2011, 12:08 PM
Thank you very much!!!

The description provided in your blog seems extremely close, if not exactly their symptoms.

I just had a few questions about the treatment.

Where can I find formalin and Methylene Blue? I also live in Canada... which normally makes finding some aquarium supplies near to impossible.

If I cannot find either right away, will pure freshwater dips help them at all?

Will melafix work as a anti bacterial treatment?