PDA

View Full Version : Meanwell Driver Flashing - not the usual problem?

Hextall
12/28/2011, 11:32 AM
I installed the RapidLED retrofit kit into my 29g biocube a couple of weeks ago. It comes with 20 LEDs (I changed up the ratio to 12 blues, 8 whites) and 2 meanwell ELN-60-27D drivers. I was warned by RapidLED that if I didn't have enough LEDs on a particular driver, then the driver would start flashing. The driver requires somewhere near 22v drawn by the LEDs to operate correctly, and with only 8 LEDs (the white ones), I might not draw enough, and the driver will flash to warn me.

Sure enough, while putting it all together, the driver would flash the LEDs as I set the maximum current. So I threw one of the 12 blue LEDs on that string, and it seemed to solve the problem.

However, a couple of times when the LEDs were being ramped (controlled by my Apex), every once in a while, the white driver would flash the LEDs. So maybe I have to put another LED on the string.. But that's not the weird thing (hopefully you're still reading).

When I would turn on the lights in the room... like some recessed lighting, the driver would start flashing. So there was some kind of signal going from the room's circuitry and being "discovered" by the driver, and flashing the lights. weird... so I switched the drivers that control the blues and whites (maybe that particular driver is screwy). Same thing... Monday, when ramping up, the whites started flashing (I was in teh room reading with the lights in the room on). So it isn't a bad driver issue.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm going to put a 10th LED on that particular string, but the correlation between turning on and off things in the room (like a plugged in vacuum) has me a bit stumped.

Thanks for any suggestions.

And the kit looks and works great. except for the vortex of confusion in my living room, I couldn't be happier.

Hextall
12/29/2011, 10:28 AM
My one and only bump as I'll just assume no one ever has encountered this problem (The guys at RapidLED said they've never heard of it either).

slickmin
12/29/2011, 11:33 PM
i have 36 led kit from rapidled, im running 2 strings of 9 parallel on 1 driver. if the (pot) is set at max when the when the timer turns it on then it would last until i turn it down a little. so i just cant set it at max. i was never able to fix the problem.