PDA

View Full Version : frag tank in sump?

Meshmez
12/28/2011, 01:00 PM
So im upgrading from my 55g to a 90g (build thread to follow soon) and I'm going to have a 40g breeder as a sump/fuge but I would really like a frag tank (or in reality a grow out/ acclimation tank) I dont have room for a separate tank so I was thinking of using the return section of my sump as a frag tank. I would set the sump up with the return going in on the left where the skimmer will be, and then that would flow into the return section in the middle, which would pump back into the DT and be split off to a fuge on the right side, which would flow back to the return section. Im thinking of putting the return pump near the back and having a frag rack up front. assuming I put a small powerhead in there to keep the flow up, and I have the correct lighting, does anyone see an issue with this idea?

ezerasurfr
12/28/2011, 01:35 PM
I believe room will be your largest challenge with this. Also, if you're manually dosing (like I do - because youre only using a 90g) my sump is a sort of secondary mixing station. When I dose, I mix my 1 and 2 part (seperately) in a small container with tank water and pour into my return section. This will put a high concentration into your frag tank if you keep frags in your return section - could be an issue. Or you could dose the DT directly, but then again you subject your display corals to a higher concentration.

I wouldnt do it, but to each their own. I would just be patient and wait until you have the proper space for a grow out tank/ frag tank. Maybe others can offer better advice to help you achieve what you want, but I just wanted to bring up a few points.

Alysiak00
12/28/2011, 02:23 PM
i say go for it. i think the corals will be fine but i definitely wouldn't add any fish in there especially with the return pump. you could possibly come home to minced fishy ;)

i say if you were going to dose, just add it to the skimmer section. it should diffuse quick enough as long as you dont just dump it all in. go slow, like over the course of a minute or so

Meshmez
12/29/2011, 09:06 PM
Im not looking to use it as a frag tank as to grow frags to sell or anything big like that, atleast not on a large scale at all. More than anything I want an area where I can put small frags and let them encrust the plug and grow a bit before putting them in the dt. I dont forsee EVER having a seperate frag tank and I really have no need for it, I just dont really want a frag rack in my dt.

SkullV
12/29/2011, 09:32 PM
I had a little frag area in my fuge. Had a 10 LED 3w CREE fixture over it. There just wasn't enough flow to keep anything but softies happy.

Area before I dropped the rack in:
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb102/rockyrubicon/IMAG0323.jpg
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb102/rockyrubicon/IMAG0328.jpg

I have a Marineland Reef Capable (yeah right) LED fixture over it now and keep some xenia down there in the fuge:

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb102/rockyrubicon/Fish%20Tank/75g%20Reef%20Tank/IMG_1866.jpg

map95003
12/29/2011, 10:46 PM
I have a similar setup but my sump is a 55. However, I placed my frag rack in the fuge/DSB section and I run 2 BoostLED PAR30 bulbs over it