PDA

View Full Version : Rock flower anemone care etc.

JJIM
12/28/2011, 04:19 PM
I am looking to add a couple rock anemones to my 28 gallon nano. What are the care needs of this type? I am not one for high maintenance of my marine specimens within my nano tanks. That being said, if an anemone can filter feed effectively with an occasional bi-monthly or weekly feeding it will suit my style.

Feeding regimen-

Lighting-

Less likely of the anemones to harm other corals-

How clean of a tank (I have no skimmer but do bi-monthly water changes)-

What would be another good option knowing my care maintenance and tank size?

Thanks in advance for the help!

garygb
12/28/2011, 06:11 PM
Flower anemones (Epicystis crucifer) are hardy and would likely fit into your maintenance schedule. In that small a tank they could be fine with PC, T-5, MH lighting. They are not likely to significantly harm your corals, but will sting them if in direct contact. Another good option would be maxi-mini--hardy and stay small and are generally undemanding. I would suggest if you keep any species of anemone that you keep an eye on nitrates. I have noticed that regardless of species (and I have several), they don't like nitrates. They don't open to their fullest. Perhaps they can acclimate that nitrate, but I prefer to aim for undetectable levels.

elegance coral
12/28/2011, 06:48 PM
If you're keeping stony corals alive and healthy, you should have no problem with crucifer. The anemone may move a few inches when you first put it in the tank, but it's not likely to move after that, so it poses very little risk to corals or other critters in the tank.