PDA

View Full Version : Up and running

tony53176
12/29/2011, 07:26 PM
Ok my shipment of pukani rock from BRS came in yesterday and I just finished placing the last piece today.

So my tank is now completely up and running and waiting for the cycle. Now I was told since this is a new tank with no fish or any livestock what so ever that I could just take the dry rock right from the box and put it in the tank, I'm wondering if this was a mistake on my part or if everything should be ok? The water is kinda yellowish but seems to be clearing up since I put the last piece of rock in earlier today. In hind sight I should have washed off the rock but my friend told me that all the dead stuff on the rock would help cycle the tank.

I am currently running carbon and my skimmer, should I worry or just let sleeping dogs lie?

thegrun
12/29/2011, 07:45 PM
At this point I would let it go, but yes you should have washed the rock first. A filter sock will help clear up the tank faster if your set-up allows you to use one.

tony53176
12/29/2011, 07:49 PM
At this point I would let it go, but yes you should have washed the rock first. A filter sock will help clear up the tank faster if your set-up allows you to use one.

unfortunately at this point my set-up does not allow me to use a filter sock so I'll just have to let the carbon and skimmer do their jobs and wait it out, I'm sure it will clear (hopefully ;) )

tony53176
12/29/2011, 10:45 PM
So I'm thinking about doing a 50% water change tomorrow if this doesn't clear up anymore. Honestly it just started cycling today, would doing the water change set me back drastically? or would I be better off leaving it alone? I mean I'm not really concerned about anything in the tank just that it doesn't look all that great is all

PRDubois
12/30/2011, 01:53 AM
If you can get your hands on a canister filter for a few days it will clear it up quick.