PDA

View Full Version : I'm I using the right supplements?

reefer999
12/29/2011, 08:39 PM
I use Reef Code A & B, Magnesium, Strontion, Amino Acids, and Restor as well for my reef tank these are all products from Brightwell Aquatics I believe. I was just wondering if I'm using the right ones for optimal coral growth or if they even work and help. If not can any of you recommend me a good product that will help my corals grow faster and possibly get vibrant coloration as well.

Thanks for all the help

fishflorist
12/29/2011, 09:00 PM
I guess these major inorganic elements from BW is good to use , if the price is good too.

bertoni
12/29/2011, 09:10 PM
The Reef Code and Magnesion products should be fine. I wouldn't bother with the strontium supplement, as it's not clear that anything needs strontium, but it probably won't hurt. The other two products are amino acids and fats. They might be useful, depending on how much other food the corals are getting, and what kinds of corals are present.

What's in the tank?

reefer999
12/29/2011, 09:58 PM
I have a 56 gallon reef tank which includes all varieties of corals zoanthids, ricordeas, sps, lps, xenias, and some other stuff.

bertoni
12/29/2011, 11:37 PM
The Xenia, zoanthids, and Ricordea might benefit from some dissolved nutrients. That said, I'm not sure I'd add any. If the tank has fish that are getting fed, the water column likely has enough nutrients to keep corals going without any other feeding.

Depending on the type of LPS, those corals might benefit from some larger food items. My brain coral would catch mysid shrimp and amphipods, for example.

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/30/2011, 08:10 AM
I agree that strontium is unnecessary. Many people add amino acids, but it isn't clear to me they are needed unless you are pushing to an ultra low nutrient tank.