PDA

View Full Version : clown and blue hippo tang

robd855
12/29/2011, 09:44 PM
here we go,,,, i have a clown tang who is very happy sharing the tank with a clown fish and a red fairy wrasse. my girlfriend has been asking to add a hippo tang for forever. i've been reading that the clown may be over bearing when it comes to other tangs in the tank. any feedback?

brannock_16
12/29/2011, 10:32 PM
The first thing to consider is the tank size. What size of tank are we talking about?

The next issue to consider is the size of the respective tangs. What size is the clown? And what prospective size would the hippo be?

And finally, how long has the clown been established in your tank? Often times, clown tangs that are already established will tend to show aggression towards new additions. It is often times best to add a clown tang as the final tang to try to reduce aggression.

Chris27
12/29/2011, 10:35 PM
50 / 50 .... all hell could break loose, or the clown may just ignore it after a day, it's hard to say. Given that the hippo tang is in a class all by itself it's usually not bothered by other tangs, but the Clown is typically understood to be a terror. I have both in my tank and they pay no attention to each other, however every fish is different, and my situation is only 1 experience and by no means the law.

dzfish17
12/29/2011, 10:45 PM
Im assuming that this is for your 65g tank. I would do more research on appropriate fish for your size of tank. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1946007

ludiNano
12/29/2011, 10:57 PM
1) This ^^^^

2) Why are you giving her decision making ability regarding the tank.

PRDubois
12/30/2011, 12:41 AM
1) This ^^^^

Because Size Does matter! :wildone:

Chris27
12/30/2011, 08:08 AM
1) This ^^^^

Because keeping mama happy is the key to a good marriage....

tmerf11
12/30/2011, 08:46 AM
Because keeping mama happy is the key to a good marriage....

Perfect reason to tell her it's time for an upgrade then! If you want a hippo, we need a big tank. Time for shopping.