PDA

View Full Version : Damsel Has Ick Now

Reefing Newbie
12/29/2011, 11:36 PM
Tonight before the final feeding of the day I noticed my three stripe has what looks like ick. For now it is just one spot. He is in my 46 gallon holding tank(CUC holding tank to be exact until my DT is ready for them again) with a percula clown and all my snails, 75lbs of LR, and a peppermint shrimp. The only tank I can treat him is a 12gallon tank, but that has my 2 baby B&W ocellaris clowns that are about half his size and not aggressive enough to hold their own yet. I have been waiting to get a chance to get to the lfs to get some cuppramine so I can prophyatically treat my fish for QT and I am going Saturday. My question would be how well would it work out to have 2 baby ocellaris clowns, a three stripe damsel(bites me and harasses my peppermint shrimp), and a percula clown(twice the babies' size and has an attitude) in a 12 gallon tank to treat for ick? My thought is not very well.

MrTuskfish
12/30/2011, 11:10 AM
Tonight before the final feeding of the day I noticed my three stripe has what looks like ick. For now it is just one spot. He is in my 46 gallon holding tank(CUC holding tank to be exact until my DT is ready for them again) with a percula clown and all my snails, 75lbs of LR, and a peppermint shrimp. The only tank I can treat him is a 12gallon tank, but that has my 2 baby B&W ocellaris clowns that are about half his size and not aggressive enough to hold their own yet. I have been waiting to get a chance to get to the lfs to get some cuppramine so I can prophyatically treat my fish for QT and I am going Saturday. My question would be how well would it work out to have 2 baby ocellaris clowns, a three stripe damsel(bites me and harasses my peppermint shrimp), and a percula clown(twice the babies' size and has an attitude) in a 12 gallon tank to treat for ick? My thought is not very well.

I think you're right. My ideas on damsels would be deleted and different clown species won't tolerate each especially in a small tank. BTW, I wouldn't mix two species of clowns in your new tank either; unless its very large.

Reefing Newbie
12/30/2011, 12:42 PM
I am trying to get rid of the damsel and clown, was going to give them to an LFS this weekend. I don't think giving them ick infected fish would be very good for future ties as far as selling frags back in the future.

I did notice this morning the white spot was gone, and thinking about it I did disturb detritus, but it looked a lot like an ick cyst.

MrTuskfish
12/30/2011, 02:32 PM
I am trying to get rid of the damsel and clown, was going to give them to an LFS this weekend. I don't think giving them ick infected fish would be very good for future ties as far as selling frags back in the future.

I did notice this morning the white spot was gone, and thinking about it I did disturb detritus, but it looked a lot like an ick cyst.

Ich disappearing is common, I'd read the sticky about their life-cycle. You cannot see ich in any of its forms; even the whitespot is not the actual parasite. If you have/had a fish with ich in your tank---the tank and fish in it need to be treated.

Reefing Newbie
12/30/2011, 04:26 PM
The damsel did have ick a few months ago, but I could never get a copper test kit to make sure I didn't have too much copper. I do now and will treat starting tomorrow when I get back from the lfs.

MrTuskfish
12/30/2011, 05:14 PM
Good luck, you shouldn't have a problem. As long as the fish are fairly healthy; I'd get them eating and increase copper slower that the mfg suggests. If they stop feeding, that's usually the 1st sign that they aren't handling the Cu well. Damsels/clowns seldom have a problem with it, though.

Reefing Newbie
12/30/2011, 07:58 PM
They eat like pigs so I think it is just waiting for the copper to use.