PDA

View Full Version : pH question

tony53176
12/30/2011, 10:21 AM
ok so I just started cycling yesterday, before I put my rock in the aquarium pH was around 8.2 I placed the rock in yesterday and today tested for both pH and ammonia, pH is now 7.8 and ammonia is between 1 and 2 ppm. Also my salinity seemed to drop overnight as well from 1.025 to 1.023 not a big drop but thought I should mention it.

Is it normal for me to see a drop in pH like this or is it something I should be concerned about?

Sport507
12/30/2011, 10:51 AM
I wouldn’t even bother with checking PH. During a cycle you need to be concerned with the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Start logging them daily so you will know when the cycle is ending. The salinity should not change overnight and that is a pretty significant drop. What are you checking it with? Also turn off the UV and skimmer if you are running them.

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/30/2011, 10:51 AM
That may be normal. A number of processes during cycling lower alkalinity and pH.

Did you measure at the same time of day? pH swings day to night.

This has more:

The "How To" Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners, Part 3: pH
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-05/rhf/index.php

thegrun
12/30/2011, 10:57 AM
I wouldn't worry about Ph during your cycle. Ph will fluctuate during the day as your lights go on and off, although your fluctuation is more than usual. Tank chemistry during the cycle is all over the map, so don't worry too much. The salinity change is not normal; salinity will normally rise as water evaporates, never fall. Are you reading your salinity with a refractometer (highly recommended) or a hydrometer? I suspect you misread the salinity because unless you added fresh water, it will not drop on its own.

tony53176
12/30/2011, 10:09 PM
I'm reading it with a hydrometer, I have a refractometer on its way. I most likely have read the specific gravity incorrectly, the hydrometer does not work very well I sometimes have to tap the bottom of it just to get the needle to move.

I do have the skimmer running, I should shut it off for now? Right now its not collecting anything and is producing a lot of micro bubbles in the tank, my guess is that there isn't anything for it to take out?

I'll stop checking ph for now, just newbie jitters lol and will start a log of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Thanks for all your help

tony53176
12/30/2011, 10:09 PM
I'm reading it with a hydrometer, I have a refractometer on its way. I most likely have read the specific gravity incorrectly, the hydrometer does not work very well I sometimes have to tap the bottom of it just to get the needle to move.

I do have the skimmer running, I should shut it off for now? Right now its not collecting anything and is producing a lot of micro bubbles in the tank, my guess is that there isn't anything for it to take out?

I'll stop checking ph for now, just newbie jitters lol and will start a log of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Thanks for all your help