PDA

View Full Version : New MP10 & Grinding Sound

chrisfont23
12/30/2011, 08:11 PM
i just received my new MP10, powered it up, calibrated it according to the instructions and noticed a terrible grinding sound. I moved it around the tank for an hour and even tried it in a different tank to give it the benefit of the doubt. No luck.

A little disappointed as I have an MP10 on the other side of the tank and there is literally no noise coming from that one.

Any help would be appreciated.

Captainfester
12/31/2011, 07:04 AM
Swap the wet sides between the two units. U will be able to figure out which part is bad and narrow down the problem.

chrisfont23
01/02/2012, 05:42 PM
Wet side.

Kryos
01/02/2012, 06:53 PM
dismantle it and examine the magnet, shaft and propeller and see if you can identify the problem. You can compare it with your good one to see if there's something wrong with it.

Google if you don't know how to dismantle

chrisfont23
01/02/2012, 07:20 PM
I doubt this is what the manufacturer would recommend nor would it be what I would recommend. I am sure some warranty will be voided leaving me in a deeper mess should I dismantle it via the Google machine's, captive audience suggested "heuristics."

Help (real) please.

Kryos
01/02/2012, 08:06 PM
I doubt this is what the manufacturer would recommend nor would it be what I would recommend. I am sure some warranty will be voided leaving me in a deeper mess should I dismantle it via the Google machine's, captive audience suggested "heuristics."

Help (real) please.

It is okay to dismantle the wet side, I've done it many many times for cleaning, if you did a simple google you would see that its just a simple twist and the cage comes off. This will void no warranty unless you dismantle the dry side or the Controller. I'm only asking you to dismantle the wet side to examine it and see if you can identify the problem, could be piece of algae stuck inside an area where you cannot see.

You may want to be careful when taking the rotar out, the shaft is attached to the base and will snap if you pull it off the wrong way but if you go slow and don't apply too much pressure, you shouldn't have any problem.

I'll even save you the hassle of googling:
http://ecotechmarine.com/media-gallery/video/proper-disassemblyassembly-of-mp10-wet-side-2/

Now, I wonder why there would be a video on Ecotech's own website if it would void the warranty.

Edit: Here's another one for the higher models:
http://ecotechmarine.com/media-gallery/video/how-to-dissasemble-and-reassemble-the-wet-side/

EcoTech Service
01/05/2012, 12:02 PM
I support the advice given by Kyros above; you may have something (i.e. sand) inside of the wetside causing the noise you are hearing.

If you continue to experience this issue after inspecting and rinsing off the dryside, please contact our customer service department and we'll be sure to help you further.