PDA

View Full Version : Reef octopus HOB vs. Hydor slim skim! HELP!!!!!

mrdamsel
12/31/2011, 08:03 AM
Hello to all! I am going to start an NPS tank and need a good skimmer that has HOB or in tank. It can't be in the sump, as I don't have a sump. I have narrowed down my choices up to the following. PLEASE remember that my tank is 40 gallons and will have a HEAVYYY bioload because it will be nps and will need lots of feeding. So the choices are:

REEF OCTOPUS BH-2000. max tank size: 120 gallons

HYDOR SLIM SKIM IN TANK. max tank size: 65 gallons

ANY HELP APPRECIATED!!!!

dixiedog
12/31/2011, 09:29 AM
This would do better in "lighting and filtration" but ....

40 gallon, heavy bioload? Not even a question, definitely go with the 120.

username in use
12/31/2011, 06:57 PM
Heavy bio load and hang on back skimmer really don't go well together.

Aqualund
12/31/2011, 08:16 PM
I would also HEAVILY suggest a sandbed of at least 4 inches with a 1.5 inch plenum for denitrification...or even a remote DSB. You are walking a fine line...you dont necessarily want the skimmer to remove everything...every bit the skimmer removes is every bit the NPS corals arent able to eat...you know?

mrdamsel
01/01/2012, 03:43 PM
Aqualund, I am still a beginner and I know this may be a bad and obvious question but what is a plenum? I was also thinking a 4 inch dsb but if we move, which we may, the tank must be as light as possible. Yes, it will remove food but the tank is quite small and has no sump to dilute the water volume so I wanted a good HOB skimmer and didn't want to make the water quality bad. The nitrates just have been hovering over 2.5 for 2 weeks and I did not want to increase them.

Also, I already ordered the BH 2000. Hope it works well.

jimbinsc
06/07/2012, 08:44 PM
Aqualund, I am still a beginner and I know this may be a bad and obvious question but what is a plenum? I was also thinking a 4 inch dsb but if we move, which we may, the tank must be as light as possible. Yes, it will remove food but the tank is quite small and has no sump to dilute the water volume so I wanted a good HOB skimmer and didn't want to make the water quality bad. The nitrates just have been hovering over 2.5 for 2 weeks and I did not want to increase them.

Also, I already ordered the BH 2000. Hope it works well.

hi, this is my second post here. I'm looking for other BH2000 users. Mrdamsel, how is the BH2000 working? Mine is really loud! Reviews said it was quiet but mine isn't, so I'm wondering how yours is working after a few months.
Thanks

cfredallen
06/08/2012, 09:13 AM
hi, this is my second post here. I'm looking for other BH2000 users. Mrdamsel, how is the BH2000 working? Mine is really loud! Reviews said it was quiet but mine isn't, so I'm wondering how yours is working after a few months.
Thanks

I am running a BH-1000 on my 90 mixed reef. It is an awesome HOB. the bh-2000 is almost identical so sould perform equally well

Bongo Shrimp
06/08/2012, 01:20 PM
I too have the BH-1000 on my 25g and I like it especially because the pump is not in the water. It works great.

MarineSniper
06/08/2012, 06:42 PM
I have to agree with the poster who stated a hob and nps don't usually go together...especially with no sump. I am presently plumbing in a 300g sump for my 2 tanks; primarily due to the nps bio load. I run a Geo, with a 1200 gph pump and still have to do weekly 25% water changes. I would be sure to check your nitrates every other day, so you can find out when you need to do your water changes. I believe you may be able to keep nps in there but you'll need to be prepared to change a lot of water