PDA

View Full Version : I think I've figured out the source of my new algae problem

dirtyBit
12/31/2011, 10:24 PM
My tank is about 7 months old and I've been through many kinds of algae during that time. Finally, last month everything was clean and in great shape. I thought my algae problems where a thing of the past. Then one day I started seeing some hair algae. Nothing big just on a few spots. The problem started getting worst. Now I even have dinos. Well I think I may have a theory on what started happening. You see I live in Southern California and we don't get a whole lot of rain. So I never really think about it. Last month we had some pretty wet days here (relatively), and my salt mix (which sits outside), got wet. I had half a bucket left so I didn't want to through it out. Rain water is supposed to be pretty clean right? Wrong. I'm think this is what has to be fueling my new algae problem. It's really the only thing that is different. If I'm crazy please let me know but I think I'm buying a new bucket of salt as soon as I can.

Reef264
12/31/2011, 10:41 PM
Unless the bucket was open, and it rained directly in the bucket, then I don't really think that's the culprit.Rain water is pretty much distilled water it just picks up carbon monoxide as it falls through the atmosphere, it has a pretty acidic Ph level.How much do you feed your tank?Food is generally the cause of the phosphates that fuel hair algae, Hair algae is an algae that may come up unexpectedly, due to mysterious, mind boggling reasons.

seapug
01/01/2012, 09:37 AM
If the salt has gotten wet and turned into a brick you should throw it away and chalk it up as a lesson learned. Keep it inside from now on. That said, the algae problems you are experiencing are probably not being caused by the salt itself. What kind of water are you using for topoffs and making saltwater?

zigzag1
01/01/2012, 02:09 PM
+1 for getting rid of the hardend salt. It will not mix up right. The calcium and alkalinity components will be off, who knows what else..

dirtyBit
01/01/2012, 07:08 PM
Yeah you guys are right. Every time I mix it, it's cloudy and it's a PITA to break it apart. I'm gonna get a new bucket tonight. As for my nutrients, I'll have to keep searching as I'm currently dosing vinegar, using GFO/GAC, DSB and using RO/DI. Perhaps my DSB has lots of nutrients that I need to get rid of. This has been a long process. Thanks everyone.