PDA

View Full Version : Seahorse.com ? Experience?

cjscott
01/01/2012, 12:42 AM
Anybody have any experience with this vendor? My wife is looking to start up a seahorse tank and we are really committed to getting captive bred ponies. Seahorse.com looks like they have a really nice selection. Thanks for feedback.

marlin85
01/01/2012, 08:21 AM
I would go with seahorsesource.com . Their seahorses are captive bred and well cared for. Ive ordered from them and they also carry all of the supplies you need to take care of them.

Chris

NiTr0x911
01/01/2012, 08:28 AM
Never tried them so cant comment on them.I do know this place is known for having top notch Seahorses.I used to live about 20 miles from them.Their hobbiest who really care about their Horses. Good Luck! Heres a link
http://www.seahorsesource.com

rayjay
01/01/2012, 10:24 AM
I agree, seahorsesource.com.
Ocean rider, while selling captive bred, do so at exorbitant prices and promote colours and special markings at high prices even though they will unlikely loose those colours and markings in your tank. DO NOT BUY BASED ON COLOUR OR MARKINGS!!!
Seahorse Source has better pricing and a reputation that cannot be beat.

reefstew
01/06/2012, 09:58 PM
I agree, seahorsesource.com.
Ocean rider, while selling captive bred, do so at exorbitant prices and promote colours and special markings at high prices even though they will unlikely loose those colours and markings in your tank. DO NOT BUY BASED ON COLOUR OR MARKINGS!!!
Seahorse Source has better pricing and a reputation that cannot be beat.

x2. I am also a breeder & have purchased from seahorse sourse & was pleased with their quality.

Peka
01/08/2012, 09:57 AM
seahorsesource.com - quality horses and quality customer service.

Todd100
01/15/2012, 10:17 PM
I received a nice sunburst seahorse from seahorse.com . It arrived the day before Christmas looking very comfortable after an overnight flight. The "small size" sunburst variety from this company is worth it imo.

lgray13
01/15/2012, 10:53 PM
I haven't bought from them yet but am currently cycling a tank that is going to be for seahorses. I have researched, talked to people and read reviews and they are who I will definitely be getting my sea horses from.

rayjay
01/15/2012, 11:49 PM
Seahorses at seahorse.com are a lot more money than those at seahorsesource.com.
Don't pay extra for colour because they more often than not, change colour once in your tank a while.

Todd100
01/16/2012, 12:44 AM
Some seahorses have a genetic predisposition to be within a certain color range. Red yellow and orange are some of the more eye pleasing varieties. My sunburst seahorses color is so much like the color mango that mango is now its name. Creamsicle was also in the running. It does change to very dark (dirty) color at night against the black overflow. Even at its darkest there is still some orange there. It also can choose to be an extremely pale translucent creamy color but with a hint of orange. I had a pair of erectus seahorses from Divers Den before this sunburst erectus seahorse and notice a dramatic difference in color between the two sources. The DD seahores had only cream white and varying shades of mostly dark greys. Another animal I directly borrowed this predisposition to be a certain color observation is the panther chameleon. A website i visited a few times called screameleons breeds the most colorful chameleons Ive ever seen. After selective breeding of select color chameleons you can get very colorful variations that usually prefer to stay a certain color. Selective breeding has proven many times to get certain desireable traits to come out and be more pronounced. This is what was accomplished with my seahorse's most prevelent coloration being a light orangeish color.

Although my opinion and experience is differnt than yours rayjay I value all the info youve put on the seahorse forum.

rayjay
01/16/2012, 08:21 AM
Todd, consider yourself one of the lucky ones as many people have had the more common experience of little to no colours after a period of time, especially the pintos. There are plenty of hobbyists that have posted about this on the org.
On the other hand, I have a bunch of erectus that came in black and off coloured yellow/white, and now there are ones that are orange, tan, yellow, and most have very distinctive markings that make them extremely pleasing to the eye.
Now, If I could only get them to come out of the hitching enough to be seen more I'd be even more happy.

Todd100
01/19/2012, 06:40 PM
I do consider myself lucky. The seahorse had nicer color than I was anticipating.