PDA

View Full Version : The Dry Rock Dilemma

Thizzelle686
01/01/2012, 02:57 PM
I recently purchased 30lbs of dry florida reef rock from reefcleaners.com. I really enjoyed working with John and highly recommend his site for anybody.

How do you recommend that I prepare the rock for the display tank? I have read many different ways from putting it straight in, to a simple wash, to curing it in bins, to using a vinegar bath, or a combination of each. I am concerned that the dry rock will leach phosphates into the tank and cause algae problems. I am curious as to what you recommend? Thank you for any help or consideration that you might provide.

BigwavedaveCO
01/01/2012, 04:13 PM
I bought the rock and have had no problem with just adding it. You will get dust which will settle. Are you a new build or adding to an existing setup. A new build should be easy and if you get some algae, the clean up crew will take care of it after the cycle.

reeferstace
01/01/2012, 05:12 PM
Rinse well and add to tank. :)

Thizzelle686
01/01/2012, 05:47 PM
I am adding this rock to a new build. I also emailed John from reefcleaners and he said the same: rinse and stick it in. Are there no concerns of leaching phosphates into the tank? If i can prevent algae now before it has a chance to grow, that would be preferred.