PDA

View Full Version : Auto top off question

capschamp
01/01/2012, 07:36 PM
I just peeked at autotopoff.com and their products look rather inexpensive (i'm not too saavy with diy). Would an auto top off system really be as simple as a pump in a bucket connected to the float switch? Basically, i'd have a 5 gallon bucket with lid next to the tank cabinet with a pump and enough line running from the bucket into the sump. Can it really be that simple? My apologies if this has been covered previously.

shaggss
01/01/2012, 08:19 PM
yep. lots of people in here use them.

Laddy
01/01/2012, 08:19 PM
In theory, yes. I've never liked the product of autotopoff.com. Some may, but I don't.

If you're thinking of a top off unit, you really can't beat the price point of JBJ--and it works too. I've been running one on my tank for the past seven years. Plus, it has built in features you're just not going to find running open sensors.

Hope this helps.

jbonez
01/01/2012, 08:22 PM
i love my tunze osmolater lil pricey but i love it..

zigzag1
01/01/2012, 10:44 PM
Their product is decent, but more DIY than any others. As you say - not being DIY savvy, you'd be better with the JBJ, or if you can afford it the Tunze product is very good. JMTC & GL!

capschamp
01/02/2012, 02:23 PM
I'll definitely check out the others. I never realized that it was this simple. Now I need a small table to cover a reservior :)

Vice333
01/04/2012, 08:00 PM
+1 on the Tunze osmolator, I love that thing. Also the tunze has fail safes built in, the main way it senses the water is with an eye sensor, if that has an issue, there is a float switch mounted slightly higher out of the water (so nothing can interfere with it) and it will shutdown the pump.