PDA

View Full Version : Bulkhead help needed

antjtc
01/01/2012, 08:58 PM
I am going to do a herbie style design on my 90 gal dt with internal overflow which has a 1 3/4 & 1 1/2 in holes already predrilled. I would like to use the smaller hole for the emergency drain. I looked at different size bulkheads on sale at various on line fish stores. With the size of my holes, what size PVC pipe should I use on both drains? Should I use thread on thread bulkheads? Does the bulkhead have to fit snugly? I cannot seem to find bulkheads which fit the 1 3/4 in hole? Thanks for any advice.

frog.pauley
01/01/2012, 09:07 PM
Check BRS site at their bulkheads, they will specify what size hole fits which BH. As for thraded or not...personal preference i tink. I have used both and i prefer slip as thewy are easy to work with, but make sure you dry fit first. On ce the slip stuff is glued it is a P.I.T.A to remove where the threaded can be twisted off given enough room to move tools around. Hope this helps :0 Happy Reefing!

uncleof6
01/01/2012, 09:14 PM
1 3/4" hole is for 1" bulkhead (ABS--black plastic.) and 1" pipe. The 1 1/2" hole is for 3/4" bulkhead (ABS) and 3/4" pipe. Look for the correct ones at Glass-holes.com. or many other online suppliers. Do not use the 3/4" for your emergency! Run the 3/4" as a siphon, and the 1" as your DRY emergency. Not optional. The 3/4" cannot handle as high a flow as the 1".

Threads for plumbing are sometimes hard to seal--it is best for leak protection to use slip. The bulkheads (the proper ones for the hole size) will not be snug in the hole.

bdwilson
01/02/2012, 08:57 AM
I agree with Uncleof6, slip is easier to work with and get a good seal on.