PDA

View Full Version : reduced cleaning crew=ammonia spike?

mess7777
01/01/2012, 09:16 PM
I have noticed that over the last few months my population of hermit crabs has dwindled to maybe 10-20 when 9 months ago I had 60+. They seem to slowly die off over time.

Anyway, this week I am having some hardy coral recede, and noticed my yellow tang had a little red by its fins.

Tested for ammonia, and wow I have a spike. Even stranger, it is not going away. I have to do water changes and use prime to keep it under control.

I have not had ammonia problems for months. Nothing major has died, I did have a fish death about a month ago but pulled it out within a couple hours of its death.

Is it possible that the reduced cleaning crew leads to more decomposing debris that is causing the ammonia spikes.

I find this very unusual and frustrating.

I have not made any changes to anything over the past 2 months, no rocks moving around, nothing.

Ron Reefman
01/02/2012, 06:31 AM
Several issues come into play and you haven't given us enough info. Your hermits have probably been dying off do to stravation. 60+ is a lot of hermits unless they are very small or your tank is very big or you have a lot of fish.

How about some basics?
Tank size?
How much LR?
how many fish?
How big & how often do you do water changes?
what was the ammonia parameter?
What was it last time and how long ago was that test?
You said the ammonia spike isn't going away... over how long a period?
What all have you done to reduce it?

sponger0
01/02/2012, 02:01 PM
I agree with ron that the size of the tank is an important piece of info that is needed here. Cause if you have less than a 100 gallon, I would assume starving or fighting