PDA

View Full Version : Flimsy Stock Tank Stands

Danzig
01/01/2012, 09:29 PM
I have this really flimsy stock stand that came with the original tank when it was bought. I bought this tank/stand from someone else. I have never filled this tank and i am worried about its structural integrity. Does anyone else have seemingly weak stands with lots of weight? Id like to see some pictures because i find it hard to believe.
In my case, the tank will be resting on a ledge that is not even directly supported, the ledge hangs out past the actual supports holding it up. So its resting on this ledge, but the part of the ledge that is actually supported is not what the tank is resting on. Sounds sketchy to me.

Also, because there is no flat surface for the tank to actually rest on, the rock will be sitting center of the bottom glass pane, below that glass pane there is absolutely no support, so tons of water/sand/rock pressing on the bottom pane worries me. All there is for support is a plastic brace like on the top of the tank. Is this a problem? If so maybe i can put some plywood across the top of the whole stand? Oh yeah that center brace on the actual stand you see in the first pic is just a thin piece of junk removable support that comes out to put my sump in, it really isnt doing anything, especially because its broken and the guy before me just stapled it back together lol.

Weight of the tank:
150 lbs of sand/LR
72 gallons of water
the tank itself
= well over 1,000 pounds at LEAST.

uncleof6
01/01/2012, 10:02 PM
I have this really flimsy stock stand that came with the original tank when it was bought. I bought this tank/stand from someone else. I have never filled this tank and i am worried about its structural integrity. Does anyone else have seemingly weak stands with lots of weight? Id like to see some pictures because i find it hard to believe.
In my case, the tank will be resting on a ledge that is not even directly supported, the ledge hangs out past the actual supports holding it up. So its resting on this ledge, but the part of the ledge that is actually supported is not what the tank is resting on. Sounds sketchy to me.

The tank manufacturer would require that stand be used to even come close to honoring the warranty on the tank. (not that there is any warranty on it now) When new, therefore, that stand was completely adequate for that small tank. Wood is incredibly strong, and you would be surprised at how much weight the wood can actually hold, regardless of the widespread alarm on the subject. Whether or not that stand is still serviceable is another story, and I won't venture a guess on it, with out having my hands on it.

Also, because there is no flat surface for the tank to actually rest on, the rock will be sitting center of the bottom glass pane, below that glass pane there is absolutely no support, so tons of water/sand/rock pressing on the bottom pane worries me. All there is for support is a plastic brace like on the top of the tank. Is this a problem? If so maybe i can put some plywood across the top of the whole stand? Oh yeah that center brace on the actual stand you see in the first pic is just a thin piece of junk removable support that comes out to put my sump in, it really isnt doing anything, especially because its broken and the guy before me just stapled it back together lol.

Weight of the tank:
150 lbs of sand/LR
72 gallons of water
the tank itself
= well over 1,000 pounds at LEAST.

Nothing. lol I have put 240 gallon glass tanks, and a few larger on nothing more than a 3/4" plywood box. This is a light load. That aside.....

A rimmed glass tank, only requires support at the 4 corners, granted, bow front tanks present a few complications. The rim of the tank holds the bottom glass panel up, there is never any direct support under the bottom panel; and the bottom panel IS going to be strong enough to hold up your sand, rock water, fish. I do not however, suggest that you drop your rocks in the tank. This is the reason, that tank bottom panels are either thicker than the sides, or tempered--or both. Regardless, solid top stand or not, the bottom glass is not touching the top of the stand.

The top is only needed for rimless glass tanks, and probably just as well they be used for acrylic tanks. So the tank is sitting on the stand just as it is designed to.

If the stand you have is "rickety" i.e. loose, rocking around, falling apart--I would not use it. But it was just fine for this light load when it was new. People just flat WAY overbuild stands for these tanks.

The 170 bow front stands are identical in construction, and they are just fine. I want to say that is an Oceanic tank and stand.

FNHFan
01/01/2012, 10:11 PM
That looks like the AGA 72 bow front I used to have. Same stand, but mine was natural pine color. It supported the tank fine for 4 years. I sold it, and since then, three other people have owned it, with no problem.

Danzig
01/01/2012, 10:35 PM
ok, its strange how strong a few pieces of thin wood can be isnt it?

uncleof6
01/01/2012, 11:09 PM
yes but it is so.

mjm7757
01/01/2012, 11:59 PM
Yep, like stated, unless it's actually rocking back and forth, it should be fine.

Danzig
01/02/2012, 12:37 AM
well i went ahead and screwed in 3 studs in various locations just to play it safe, im on the second floor so it cant hurt to be extra safe. I appreciate all of your input guys

larrypoe
01/02/2012, 08:43 AM
I worked for 7yrs at the Osullivan Industrys production plant. having a pretty long background before that in cabinet building as well as construction (we have built 3 new houses and remodled dozens of others over the years)...I was amazed at how well these cheap partical board products lasted.....

this place was a world leader in home assembled furnature...from entertainment centers, to gun cabinets. to kitchen/bath, it ran the gauntlet in home decor. and yes even aquarium stands.

a side note though, most were made to be put togather when new and never moved agian......its the moving them around that usualy starts problems.