PDA

View Full Version : Has your RBTA kept it's color under LED lighting?

edsreef
01/02/2012, 12:48 PM
I was wanting to go with a RBTA in a new tank I've set up in the future that has AI Sol Blue lighting.

I was wondering, for those of you that have kept an RBTA under led lighting for many months or more, if they kept their red coloring under this lighting or if I would be better off looking for a green or blue one instead.

data_loss
01/03/2012, 12:46 AM
I picked up an RBTA with a 28 gallon biocube that had old bulbs in it. It was under the old lights long enough to be neon pink. I moved it to my 54 gallon corner tank lit by one Radion a few weeks ago and it has already started coloring up very nicely back into a deep red.

Cliff519
01/03/2012, 08:32 AM
I've got AI Sol lighting on my 120 gallon with a Sebea anemone on the substrate for about 4 months now. He keeps growing and he keeps his coloring so the lighting must be good for him.

I would think a BTA would do just as well.

NatureNerd
01/03/2012, 08:55 AM
My LTA has improved its color and grown a lot under AI Sol's. It has been over 9 months under LED's now. I would assume a RBTA would react the same.

BigAl2007
01/03/2012, 09:09 AM
I've got 3 RBTA under LED and their colors are spectacular. If you're worried that LED (some call it Blue lighting) will diminish the "Reds" of the RBTA it doesn't work like that. The current issue of CORAL magazine talks in depth how BLUE lighting is required for coral and explains how BLUE lighting can actually increase Reds & Oranges. This is putting it overly simplified so picking up the magazine is a great idea :)

edsreef
01/03/2012, 05:29 PM
Great! Thanks to all for the responses. I know some red colored sps corals like red planet sometimes have problems with led lighting (personal experience, plus heard the same from several others), just didn't know if red colored anemones had similar issues sometimes.

BonsaiNut
01/03/2012, 08:57 PM
Great! Thanks to all for the responses. I know some red colored sps corals like red planet sometimes have problems with led lighting (personal experience, plus heard the same from several others), just didn't know if red colored anemones had similar issues sometimes.

COMPLETELY different scale of lighting. Let me tell you that you can't compare a red tip table SPS coral - which is the highest intensity coral out there (that I am aware of) to a BTA. BTAs are deeper water, lower light critters. Not LOW light - but lower light when you compare them to shallow water SPS. People are having trouble keeping the red on the SPS under LEDs - but NOT keeping the SPS alive under LEDs. That is because most LED fixtures are focusing on PAR right now - and SPS corals need high intensity broad spectrum lighting to maintain non-zooxanthellae coloration.

Brewchief
01/03/2012, 11:42 PM
I've got 6 RBTA and 1 GBTA under LED lights and they have good growth and beautiful color. Better than under my 400W MH

Habu
01/05/2012, 09:50 PM
I've got 6 RBTA and 1 GBTA under LED lights and they have good growth and beautiful color. Better than under my 400W MH
What model lights are you using? How long have you had them in that light?
Thanks