PDA

View Full Version : Fairy Wrasse ID

Arkayology
01/02/2012, 04:50 PM
Can anyone help me with this ID? I am thinking juvi Cirrhilabrus lyukyuensis? I am thinking about adding it to my existing tank. LFS has it labeled as a "purple checkerboard fairy wrasse"

http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss129/SoCalDude/IMG_0162.jpg

Arkayology
01/02/2012, 05:15 PM
or Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura?

reefjunkie42
01/02/2012, 05:30 PM
I think the 1st is correct

Reefing Newbie
01/02/2012, 05:34 PM
Both species look so similar. I want to say your second guess. It seems to have more yellow on the snout than your first guess does. Although I haven't seen juvinles of either species.

Arkayology
01/02/2012, 05:39 PM
Ya, I am really not sure. The only reason I suggest juvi Cirrhilabrus lyukyuensis is because it hasn't developed the yellow patch yet. Either way, I believe I will be picking this fish up on the way home tonight.

snorvich
01/02/2012, 05:46 PM
It is unquestionably a "purple checkerboard fairy wrasse"; I admire their creativity, they must be successful selling chalices too!

Arkayology
01/02/2012, 06:04 PM
It is unquestionably a "purple checkerboard fairy wrasse"; I admire their creativity, they must be successful selling chalices too!

Indeed. The employee repeated the name written on the tank when I asked for a species... Very bright folks around here

Reefing Newbie
01/02/2012, 06:16 PM
Taking a closer look, I am positive it is a cyanupleura. It doesn't have the yellow patch on its side like you said, the patch is more purple from your picture. I think for a better ID, a picture of its flank would be needed.

reefjunkie42
01/02/2012, 10:00 PM
I have ajuvi that loooks just like that. and its a yellow flanked fairy

Reefing Newbie
01/02/2012, 10:11 PM
I wonder if they are opposites as juvies then... It seems wierd that it would have the coloration of the Blue Headed Fairy. You do have more experience with them so I will side with you on that, I was simply comparing what I have seen and what I have looked at in photos, such as LA.

reefjunkie42
01/02/2012, 11:40 PM
I'm just sharing my thoughts, they could def be wrong but it looks like a luyku

Arkayology
01/03/2012, 12:43 AM
I picked up the wrasse today. I'll post some pics later with my good camera for a better ID.

I will say that when I added him, there were some spats between the new fairy wrasse and the male carpenter wrasse. Probably some kind of dominance issues being worked out?

Reefing Newbie
01/03/2012, 03:14 PM
Yeah, the new guy has to learn his place. There is also the fact that these fish see him as a threat to their territory and being that the new guy is similar to them it is more of a "threat". It will calm down in a few days. My lfs had an existing purple tang when they added a sailfin to their 240 DT, the purple was on the sailfin for a week. Now it is all good, you should be fine just be a mediator if things get too ugly. I don't think it will though.

reefjunkie42
01/03/2012, 04:15 PM
Yeah, the new guy has to learn his place. There is also the fact that these fish see him as a threat to their territory and being that the new guy is similar to them it is more of a "threat". It will calm down in a few days. My lfs had an existing purple tang when they added a sailfin to their 240 DT, the purple was on the sailfin for a week. Now it is all good, you should be fine just be a mediator if things get too ugly. I don't think it will though.

I think the situation with the tangs is quite different, being purple tangs are very aggressive. It can work, but takes a bit. On the other hand when introducing wrasses to a tank, a acclimation box is best to diffuse any issues and let everyone get to know everyone. It will work out but just keep an eye on em

Reefing Newbie
01/03/2012, 04:32 PM
I was using it as an example of how fish are aggressive to new comers, being similar makes it tougher on the new guy. They are very different, and it was just pure example.

reefjunkie42
01/03/2012, 04:41 PM
Oh I know sorry to come off harsh I didnt mean to do that or sound that way. I agree that newbies are def picked on esp if theres another fish fromthe same genus in the tank as well. I was simply saying that most times this aggression can be checked for healthily instead of just adding a fish and hoping for the best. HTH

Arkayology
01/03/2012, 08:53 PM
TBH, the Flame Angel seems to be the primary aggressor. Very odd, but I guess the Flame Angel is the boss of my tank with the male Carpenter close behind.

Reefing Newbie
01/03/2012, 09:09 PM
Oh I know sorry to come off harsh I didnt mean to do that or sound that way. I agree that newbies are def picked on esp if theres another fish fromthe same genus in the tank as well. I was simply saying that most times this aggression can be checked for healthily instead of just adding a fish and hoping for the best. HTH

It's okay, sometimes it comes off wrong and I took no hurt feelings from that. You are indeed with wrasses(for the time being ;) I love them and I am waiting for a larger tank so I can get them, well and a larger budget for the really cool wrasses like pylei, jordani, lineatus, etc.)