PDA

View Full Version : Ecoxotic LED sps aren't coloring up

cfmx
01/02/2012, 08:25 PM
I have a 24g cube tank w following lights
4- (Panorama Pro LED Module 24V- 19 Watt 12K White/445nm Blue)
3- (Panorama Pro LED Module 24V- 19 Watt 445nm Blue)
The lights are about 6 inches above the water.
Blue lights come on at 12 noon till 10pm and the white lights from 1pm till 9pm.
I'm wondering if the photo period is on too long for the amount of light on the tank. My SPS have color but doesn't seem to have as nice of colors as my other tank (Solana 34g w 150 watt 14k). Both tanks have frags of the same corals (efflo, Ora Joes coral, bonsi, Ora Ice Blue Tort). Both tanks water parameters are the same and so is the temp. I do weekly water change with ESV Salt.
Other corals color seem fine zoos, maxi clam, dendro and acans.
The corals have color and have nice polyp extension however the color seems almost washed out some compared to the Solana.

SkullV
01/02/2012, 08:31 PM
Add 1-3 Red or Warm White LEDs and watch your coral color back up.

rtparty
01/02/2012, 08:37 PM
I would drop the whites down to 5-6 hours instead of 8 and see how that goes.

Although I think the issue is more LED than anything else. In 10 months I haven't been able to keep my colors in most corals. I have changed some things around lately and added more light and it seems to help.

However, on my 24g JBJ I am only running 2 PRO modules (1 all 12k and 1 blue/magenta) and 2 stunners (1 UV stunner and 1 445nm blue).

I have had to be really careful to not bleach everything with the latest switch. I think you have way too much light to be honest. I would dump 2 of the 12k/445 modules and think about adding some stunners to give you more spectrum. I really like the UV stunner. It is dim to the human eye but my corals have responded very nicely to it. I would add 2 of them and maybe think about adding 2 blue/magenta stunners.

If you get the new in-line dimmers you can play with color temp a little more in case the magenta LEDs are too over powering.