PDA

View Full Version : FOWLR*- Glass Bottom, Sand, Crushed Coral, Which is Best?

Fishnthecorner
01/03/2012, 04:08 PM
Switching from my 92g to 240g. My existing DSB was horrible (I was able to remove most of it). But I dont think I want a clear glass bottom. Is it OK to just have some crushed coral on the bottom for looks? What do you guys think?
It's just a FOWLR...

namxas
01/03/2012, 04:41 PM
Rather than a little CC, I'd look into #3 grade aragonite (about 1" - 1.5"). It looks nice, won't trap detritus like CC, and "lays down" better than sugar-fine grade. Go with #1 grade if you want it a tad more fine.

TitanTV
01/04/2012, 07:51 AM
I would avoid the crushed coral. Just use a very small amount of sand to cover the bottom. You will still get a home for worms and pods and will not have the negatives with the DSB.

Fishnthecorner
01/04/2012, 09:00 AM
I'm a little worried about using sand due to the fact that the tank is acrylic, and I'd hate to get a grain of sand caught in the cleaning magnet...

humaguy
01/04/2012, 10:22 AM
I am going bb in my new acrylic...

noahlito
01/04/2012, 10:44 AM
i have a barebottom 180gallon tank and I have had no problems for over a year

humaguy
01/04/2012, 11:48 AM
macro algae will eventually cover the bottom and any worms and pods will learn to live within the rocks...

namxas
01/04/2012, 12:43 PM
Tried a BB reef once, and I hated pretty much everything about it. Plus, to me, then my DT looks like a glorified LFS holding tank. But that's my personal opinion.

Fortunately, there is something for everyone in the hobby! :)

As far as cleaning goes, I don't use magnet-style cleaners, altho considering what we keep, you'd think so. I use one of those white "for acrylic" pads, and hang one finger below the bottom edge of the pad about 1/2" or so. That way I feel the substrate and stop, which keeps the grains out of the pad. Then I finish off with a plastic scraper, but only push "down" to the substrate.