PDA

View Full Version : Yellow water

tony53176
01/04/2012, 08:40 AM
hey guys,

I'm hoping someone can help me out with an issue I'm having. When I started up my tank 7 days ago and put the rock in the water had turned yellow, it has cleared some but the water still has a yellow hue to it if you look at the right way. What I mean by that is if you look at the tank from the front the water looks clear but if you look at it from either side the water looks yellow.

My LFS tells me that its possibly algae growing in my water column, I'm not sure if I believe that. I'm tempted to use some chemipure elite in my canister filter to help clear it up but I was wondering if any of the experts here had any other suggestions on how I can clear it up?

On Friday about 5 days ago I started using my lights 12 hours on the actinics and 8 hours on the daylights reason being that I had purchased some live rock with corraline algae on them.

So if anyone has any suggestion on how I can get rid of this yellow hue I would greatly appreciate it.

BIG_KAHUNA
01/04/2012, 09:07 AM
Activated Carbon, Diatom Filter, Water Change, etc etc. In the water column makes me think it's a bacterial bloom. The tank is only a week old; this is completely normal. It should pass with time.

seapug
01/04/2012, 09:08 AM
Granular activated carbon is the solution for yellow water.

tony53176
01/04/2012, 09:25 AM
so do you guys think that its safe for me to keep my lighting schedule? or should I play it safe and cut back on the lights?

RubberFrog
01/04/2012, 09:27 AM
cut it back

All that light in a new tank is going to grow algae like crazy.

tony53176
01/04/2012, 10:50 AM
so I'm assuming using chemi pure elite would not be a good idea as it can remove ammonia and mess up my cycle, correct?

RubberFrog
01/04/2012, 04:04 PM
cut the lights back, no chemicals

just let nature take it's course

IamFowlrThanYou
01/04/2012, 05:19 PM
Yes definitely cut the lights back and I would take out the chemicals.

tony53176
01/04/2012, 06:34 PM
the chemi pure elite is actually a filter media similar to activated carbon but also helps remove phosphates and ammonia its not a chemical and I haven't started using it...yet.

If you guys say to use activated carbon then this should work just as well but the only difference is that this also removes ammonia which would slow down my cycle I would think.