PDA

View Full Version : Virginia Mantis?

r3man
07/07/2003, 06:29 PM
Hey everyone-

I am told that Squilla empusa lives in the lower reaches of the Chesapeake.

I'm curious if anyone knows:

About how far up the Chesapeake it lives?

What other Mantis Shrimps can be found in the Chesapeake area?

I'm asking because I'm thinking of setting up a tank. Since I live in VA, it might be kind of cool to have a local in my tank (don't have the slightest clue how I'd collect it, though!)

Thanks,

R3man.

cjm033
07/07/2003, 06:35 PM
damn ya had me excited i thought there. i thoguht there was a mantis up for grabs locally

r3man
07/07/2003, 07:37 PM
What'd ya say there cjm033......

Did you say you were interested in a collecting trip???? :D

cjm033
07/07/2003, 07:41 PM
lol ma live about 15 mins from colonial beach i dont know if theres anything up there but im pretty sure thats part of the bay since there tons of sea food restarunts around there lol,Chris

ps i also may get sme form my lfs for free since they get them on rock sometimes n i know the owner hehe

Gonodactylus
07/08/2003, 09:23 AM
Squilla empusa has been reported as far north as Maine and is fairly common as far north as Woods Hole. However, it appears that in the northern portion of its range, it lives subtidally. It does occur occasionally in the low intertidal in Virginia and is fairly tolerant of brackish water, so it should occur inside the bay.

Roy

cjm033
07/08/2003, 05:21 PM
and what would be the chances of seeing or catching a few of these guys on a day out on the bay?

Gonodactylus
07/08/2003, 05:34 PM
Slim! If you could find the burrows, they are easy to collect, however. The burrows are about an inch to an inch and a half in diameter and are a u-tube about 2 - 4 feet long. I often find them by walk on a mudflat at a very low tide and watching for water squirting out of a burrow when I step on it If you can identify the two entrances, you can usually force your hand through the burrow until the animal pops out the other end. A light glove helps.

Roy

Python73
07/08/2003, 11:17 PM
Are you familiar with the fishing pier around the 3 mile marker on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel? I was about mid pier bouncing a bloodworm off the bottom when I had a light tap. Up came a 7" pale yellow spearer mantis.

That was about three years back. Anyway, they are at least mid bay. :)

S !