PDA

View Full Version : Black clownfish

Zswift
01/04/2012, 04:12 PM
Are black clown fish really hardy? I want a mated pair of clown fish, but I am so.undecided on what type I want. For sure something hardy, and easy.to take care of but that arent really aggressiv. Any help is welcome (:

jim.crunk
01/04/2012, 10:22 PM
If you want a hardy clown get an ocellaris. They are as hardy as any fish i've ever had.
I have a standard orange and recently introduced a black. I dont know if they will pair but they are definately best buddies.

Also, both of them are extremely passive.

Toddrtrex
01/04/2012, 11:55 PM
Depends on what species you are referring to -- there are more then one species that is black in color.

bLac2
01/05/2012, 01:40 AM
The general black ocellaris clowns you see for the round-about same price as your basic little "nemos" are just as hardy as many of the other clownfish. Though, by hardy... Are you referring to something along the lines of cycling a tank or hardy in a sense they can be with predator fish, or hardy as in they aren't parasite magnets? Clowns are pretty laid back, just make sure you give him/her a good home! :) Keep us updated on what you do.

Zswift
01/05/2012, 11:58 AM
I have a 55 gallon tank that has been cycled for two weeks. I love the solid black with the white stripes. not the ones with orange or only partial stripe ones.

RtReef
01/05/2012, 12:11 PM
Having both types of clowns (black and orange) I would have to say they are equally hardy. They are really cool fish and it's not hard to see why they are the most popular fish in the saltwater world!

bues0022
01/07/2012, 03:46 PM
It's much better to refer to each type of clownfish by its actual name rather than color. Black, orange - both could refer to a number of species.

JennyH
01/07/2012, 05:14 PM
I have a 55 gallon tank that has been cycled for two weeks. I love the solid black with the white stripes. not the ones with orange or only partial stripe ones.

This is my black and white ocellaris when we first got her. She had an orange chin:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y281/jennyl772003/IMG_2151.jpg

Here are 2 super crappy pics of her today:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y281/jennyl772003/IMG_0583.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y281/jennyl772003/IMG_0579.jpg

IF this is the black and white clownfish you are talking about, mine has lost a lot of her orange chin as she's matured.

Zswift
01/07/2012, 09:02 PM
I cant see photos because I'm on my phone, but the ones I want were the Australian Black and White as percula clown fish.

Toddrtrex
01/07/2012, 09:05 PM
I cant see photos because I'm on my phone, but the ones I want were the Australian Black and White as percula clown fish.

Those would be ocellaris, and not a perc.

Zswift
01/07/2012, 09:05 PM
Link to see a list is here http://www.aquacon.com/Clownfish_saltwaterfish.html
As of this post they are the $40 each or $130 for the pair

Toddrtrex
01/07/2012, 09:07 PM

They labeled that fish wrong, it is an A. ocellaris. Then again, it is aquaCON.

velvetelvis
01/07/2012, 09:14 PM

If you see the name "Aquacon", don't walk--RUN. Google them (and search Reef Central) and you'll see how many people (myself included, when they were doing business under another name) have bitterly regretted ever giving money to those thieves and liars. As Todd pointed out, the last part of their name is no coincidence. Stick to tried-and-true sources like LiveAquaria or Blue Zoo Aquatics (I'm sure some other posters here could add other reliable names).

By "cycled for two weeks", do you mean that your tank has been set up and cycling for two weeks; or that it's been two weeks since your water tests have confirmed that the tank has completed the cycle? Ocellaris are tough little fish, but they still need a stable, established system in order to do well.

Zswift
01/07/2012, 09:22 PM
According to two different lfs, my tank has completed the first cycle. I do not really like buying stuff online, but was going to have my lfs order them for me possibly. But the ones on the link are the ones I would like to have.

velvetelvis
01/07/2012, 09:29 PM
According to two different lfs, my tank has completed the first cycle. I do not really like buying stuff online, but was going to have my lfs order them for me possibly. But the ones on the link are the ones I would like to have.

Ah, good. Now the fun begins (cautiously, of course). ;)

Sustainable Aquatics breeds black-faced melanistic (black) ocellaris. I had a pair last year--they were perfect and gorgeous. My current fish, an orchid dottyback, is SA-bred, and the brightest, prettiest orchid I've ever seen. I highly recommend seeing if your LFS can/will order from them.

jbax
01/07/2012, 10:51 PM
By "cycled for two weeks", do you mean that your tank has been set up and cycling for two weeks; or that it's been two weeks since your water tests have confirmed that the tank has completed the cycle? Ocellaris are tough little fish, but they still need a stable, established system in order to do well.

is the tank a new setup? if so, has been running for at least 8 weeks?

your lfs should be able to get them from their wholesalers/warehouse with no problem. and yes they are hardy fish.

Zswift
01/08/2012, 10:58 AM
It is kind of weird. I set up part of my tank one week and finished it completely two weeks after that. My dad pushed me to start it up when I wanted to wait and get it all set up at once. So the 17th of December was the day it was completely set up. Has ten pounds of limestone and 40 lbs of LR. Then last monday went to two different lfs and both said it had cycled. Now I'm waiting on my lfs to get some new power heads before I get my fish.

Zswift
01/19/2012, 10:09 PM
I got two black and white clown fish tonight!! They are those A. Oscellaris ones

scoobster
01/19/2012, 10:57 PM
Mine are bullet proof so far.

Zswift
01/20/2012, 08:23 AM
Mine are only three months old, so you still see some orange, but they are swimming around just happily!!