PDA

View Full Version : Crocea Clam Question

vaporlockv2
01/04/2012, 09:24 PM
I purchased this clam about 3 months ago. For about 1month no noticable shell growth. Just within the last month growth on the shell has exploded. It has about 3/4" on the left side and only about 1/4" on the right side. Is it normal for the shell to grow unevenly?

tebstan
01/04/2012, 10:30 PM
Does the mantle ever extend all the way out on that short side? Or is flow making it lean to the side?

I remember reading that the mantle can excrete something that erodes rock, that's how giant clams can claim space. Might prevent their own shell from growing? Just guessing on that.

vaporlockv2
01/06/2012, 11:11 AM
The mantle extends about the same on both sides. There is a lot more water flow from the right hand side than the left. Could it be the water current that is affecting shell growth. I guess I could turn the clam into the water flow instead of from the side.

Reef Bass
01/06/2012, 12:32 PM
Often times the clam will adjust itself. You can turn it but it may have a better idea. I find they tend to orient parallel with light, as in lengthwise with t5s for example.

vaporlockv2
01/06/2012, 02:02 PM
Ok, well he isn't parallel to the light, but is close. I have noticed it has turned it'self quite a bit. I scoured for a rock that I felt would be secure enough that it wouldn't fall but at the same time have plenty of room to attach and open fully.