PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing returns

Leafer
01/05/2012, 12:39 PM
Soon I’ll be setting up my first drilled tank. It will have 3/4 inch glass and dual 3/4 inch returns. I had planned to plumb the returns with hard pipe. I recently came across a recommendation to plumb part of the return with flex tubing as this would reduce the risk of cracking.

With thick (3/4) glass and solid bulkheads would you support this recommendation or say I’m good to go with non-flex pipe?

Barrier Grief
01/05/2012, 01:04 PM
I did hybrid drains out of my 90, though I used 1.5 lines. Hard PVC out of tank, flex PVC below tank/into sump. Union served as mating point. Also did same on my pump return. Works well to allow a bit of flexibility, provide a bit if ease lining up lines without excessive fittings, mine is quiet, and I guess it provides some protection from cracking tank due to bumping pipes, though the flex PVC is still quite stiff.

zeeter
01/05/2012, 01:57 PM
Mine is a 3/4 inch return and a 1" overflow. You're supposed to have a larger overflow than return. Or vice-versa - my definition of return being the one that goes back to the display tank.

Mine is plumbed like Barrier's. PVC within the tank overflow and jointed to rubber tubing below.

Leafer
01/05/2012, 02:21 PM
My two drains are 1.5 inch PVC, some flexible – I’m happy on that part. My return (from sump to the display) comes from the basement. There is some fex pvc in the walls but most of the return is plumbed with ridged pvc, coming up in 1.5 inch pipe, splitting and reducing to 1” and then 3/4 inch before it hits the bulkheads. With standard pvc, all will be nice and firm. I can order some 3/4 flex pvc to go into the bulkhead and add a few clamps to my walls to eliminate sagging. Would having a section of flex be necessary I am wondering.

zeeter
01/05/2012, 02:32 PM
Ooh - let me recalculate. My overflow is 1.5" and my return is 1". I was thinking of my basement setup which feeds 8 tanks.

Barrier Grief
01/05/2012, 03:04 PM
If you've already got some flex in the return line as you describe between pump and bulkheads, I'd probably just stick with hard PVC to finish your run to the bulkhead. Doesn't seem to be any add'l benefit adding more flex line given your situation IMO.

lhemphill
01/21/2012, 10:58 PM
With using flex piping is the risk for leaks greater? It seems that PVC pipe would be better protected since the unions are glued.

MemphisTigers
01/22/2012, 12:29 AM
The flex pipe union to pvc is glued.

PincheReefTank
01/22/2012, 02:29 PM
I did a 1" spa/flex hose slipped on and then SS clamped to my overflo bulkhead. The flex then runs down to a union and T's off into 2 1" lines that run into 2 1" bulkheads going into my sump. For me not only did it quiet down the little wooshing comming down the flex and into the sump which was not that bad to begin with it also eliminated what little noise I had left coming from my overflo. I hardlined my return with 3/4, put a union in a location where I could easily reach it and dismantle it and also put a ball valve in an easily accessed location. It might sound complicated but it is a very very simple setup. I have pics in build my thread.

Good Luck

phillyfishguy
01/22/2012, 04:02 PM
Just make sutre you use the right glue for spa flex.

sleepydoc
01/22/2012, 05:51 PM
Depending how you set it up, using spa flex can potentially improve flow by eliminating elbows and joints. Some people claim it makes systems quieter by isolating pump vibrations. No personal experience with that to say for sure.

+1 phillyfishguy's comment on using the right glue.