PDA

View Full Version : Quality Fish Foods for Clownfish

Ron Popeil
01/05/2012, 01:48 PM
Have we improved our food selection at all for a high quality fish diet?

What foods should I be feeding that I am not?

Mysis, cyclopeeze...sure.

What pelleted foods should I look into? Flakes?

Any new foods on the market that show promise?

Sugar Magnolia
01/05/2012, 02:21 PM
I like the New Life Spectrum Thera A pellets.

MikeandNicole
01/05/2012, 03:28 PM
Rod's Food just released a breeders blend that is supposed to get fish to breed. Pretty new so I don't know if there are any reviews yet but Rod's has always made quality food.

vwwanksta69
01/05/2012, 04:19 PM
Rod's Food just released a breeders blend that is supposed to get fish to breed. Pretty new so I don't know if there are any reviews yet but Rod's has always made quality food.

I would not feed their breeders blend frequently.

Ron Popeil
01/05/2012, 04:24 PM
why is that?

vwwanksta69
01/05/2012, 04:45 PM
http://************.com/2011/05/21/breeders-blend-rods-food/

Fatty foods help increase the chances of fatty liver disease.

Ron Popeil
01/05/2012, 06:56 PM
any other ideas for a high quality pellet? i have access to plenty of thera a....

phender
01/05/2012, 07:20 PM
I pretty much only feed the New Life Spectrum Thera A pellets at this point. I used to feed the frozen Formula One, but certain batches would make my skimmer go crazy. I have percs, orange skunks and akindynos that breed every 10 days or so, so it must not be too bad. The proof in the pudding would be the quality of the larvae, but I'm not trying to raise any babies at this point.

Fig
01/06/2012, 07:43 PM
I've used New Life Spectrum exclusively for the last 8 months. My fish haven't looked better. No, I'm not a rep. I just watched the vid and took the challenge.
http://nlsfishfood.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=28&Itemid=61

hvacman250
01/06/2012, 09:19 PM
NLS for my 7 pairs.

deangelr
01/07/2012, 07:30 AM
I prefer the elos pellets to NLF. Fewer phosphates and they don't dirty the water as much.. Also, You can really smell the difference when you compare them

I feed most elos and one a day something else.. Either homemade recipe from the wittenrich fish breeding book, mysis, cyclops, or sometimes brine shrimp to stimulate aggressive feeding..

Do any breeders out there have success feeding their broodstock with automatic feeders? It takes me a lot of time to feed all my pairs.. Not cool.

Ron Popeil
01/07/2012, 08:01 PM
at reefapalooza i received a sample of food from reed mariculture. i was telling one of the guys there about blue stripe clowns and their annoying habit of losing their vibrant colors.

TDO - EP2 was the food sample i was handed.

Top Dressed Oto
high astaxanthin formula
sized 2.3 mm x 2.3 mm

it appeared to be a very high quality food that certainly piqued my interest. anyone else tried this line?

hvacman250
01/07/2012, 08:29 PM
at reefapalooza i received a sample of food from reed mariculture. i was telling one of the guys there about blue stripe clowns and their annoying habit of losing their vibrant colors.

TDO - EP2 was the food sample i was handed.

Top Dressed Oto
high astaxanthin formula
sized 2.3 mm x 2.3 mm

it appeared to be a very high quality food that certainly piqued my interest. anyone else tried this line?

This is what I feed fry. A-C2. EP2 is biggest they make.

Ron Popeil
01/08/2012, 12:29 PM
i think i might try some. they write on their website that its for adult and juvenile fish. ill look into it.

GSMguy
01/08/2012, 01:19 PM
I just ordered my 6 month supply, I don't feed frozen everyday.
2 packs Rods food, 1x 16oz PE mysis, 1 nutrimar OVA.

I also feed NLS thera A.
I have heard great things about the TDO

elegance coral
01/08/2012, 01:40 PM
I feed the typical PE-mysis and cyclops. I also feed Reef Caviar (a brand of fish eggs), and blender mush. I don't feed any dry foods, or manufactured frozen mixed foods, like Rod's.

At the moment, I only have one pair of perculas that's spawning. The clutches are more than 500 eggs. They spawn about twice a month, but I haven't really kept track. I'm not raising the young either, so???????

You may not believe this, and I honestly wouldn't if I wasn't seeing it for myself, but I purchased a very small pair of picassos. The larger of the two, had a pretty bad under bite. As it's growing, the under bite is getting less, and less, noticeable. I honestly thought this was strictly a genetic trait, and that skull shape was fixed at a very young age. If this change continues at its current rate, the fish probably won't have an under bite at all, by the time it's an adult. The only explanation I can come up with is the good diet. I feed them very well, two or three times a day.

vwwanksta69
01/08/2012, 02:21 PM
I just ordered my 6 month supply, I don't feed frozen everyday.
2 packs Rods food, 1x 16oz PE mysis, 1 nutrimar OVA.

I also feed NLS thera A.
I have heard great things about the TDO

How often do you feed the nutrimar ova?

GSMguy
01/08/2012, 03:06 PM
How often do you feed the nutrimar ova?

I feed it once or twice a week in small amounts mixed with mysis

LargeAngels
01/12/2012, 01:08 PM
All my fish like NLS much better than TDO. I was dissapointed how most of them don't like TDO.

Ron Popeil
01/12/2012, 01:16 PM
i just received a pound of the TDO EP2 and a few ounces ofthe the Otohime EP2. my clowns seemed happy to consume it.

I still have plenty of the NLS pellets and a fresh batch of Ocean Nutrition flakes in the green container.

I think this, paired with the occasional mysis, scallop and shrimp (anemone food) should be a pretty rounded diet.

and with the new chrys i received, hopefully will maintain their color. fingers crossed.

Winwood
01/12/2012, 01:33 PM
Jordan... Not to derail this thread, but for the love of Pete, Pleeeaase post some pics of your new clowns!!!!

Ron Popeil
01/12/2012, 01:38 PM
ha. ok ok ok. once i get everything organized in there, i will.

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/12/2012, 03:49 PM
It's pretty hard to compare foods, IMO.

I've raised a trio of tank raised ocellaris into a spawning group using a particular feeding regimen, but knowing that it is better or worse than something else seems virtually impossible to me without a lot of careful comparisons that almost none of us ever do.

That said, they seem to be thriving and are very colorful on Arctipods (7 times per day on a dosing pump), dried cyclopeeze in the AM, a cube of frozen Prime Reef in the pm, and a frozen cube of Ocean Nutrition mysis later in the pm. This, of course, feeds a bunch of fish, not just the clown trio.

RubberFrog
01/13/2012, 03:37 PM
How much do you guys feed your clowns?

Ron Popeil
01/13/2012, 04:06 PM
i have been feeding my clowns several times a day every day. i want them super fat. and they are happy to oblige.

Whip316
01/13/2012, 06:29 PM
i make my own food. yellow fin tuna, wild salmon, oyster,clams, squid, octopus, mussels, mysis, cyclops, spiralina powder, 3 types of kelp, 2 types of nori.
then i use nls pellets.
i feed my clowns 6 times a day.

then i have a big can of freeze dried cyclops that i put into a condiment squirt bottle that i squirt in the tanks 2x a day. clowns go ape for cyclops squirted in the tanks.

i got my temp up to 84 and my salinity down to 18ppm to get help them eat so much.

jscarlata
03/30/2012, 07:44 AM
this is all great info, ive been watching my semi picassos for a while now and i feel as though they are looking for something specific that im not giving them. My lights come on around 5pm, i usally get home from work around 6:30/7. so the first feeding i do is right after i say hi to my family, i run down and put a mix of dry food into a feeding ring, i use Ocean nutrition Formula 1, nls pellets, some formula 2 and maybe some prime reef flakes or brine flakes as well.
At that feeding they eat quite well, usually voracious. Later in the evening after I eat, i will defrost a mix of frozen foods and put small amounts in every few hours until i go to bed or lights out around 1am. I noticed that they eat well on the frist batch of frozen i put in, but then subsequelty they just swim up to everything and pass it up. then they swim frantically back and forth, dodging their heads left and right, sort of like what oscars do when they see you by the tank, the "feed me" dance...this happened last night and i tried little bits of each dry food separatley, and they took nothing. then i tried little bits of frozen food separatley, but again they took nothing (mysis, super brine, clams, prime reef). i finally opened up some Nutrimar Ova and they attacked it, but the eggs are sooo small, i doubt they got their fill. I have tried giving them green sea veggies, formula 2 flakes and spirulina flakes and they seem to have little to no interest in the veggies. my concern is that out of all the fish, these seem to be growing VERY slowly, barely at all. the bigger of the 2 clowns is always pacing the front of the tank nervously. They have been in the tank since sept, all the other fish are healthy and growing, there are no fish bullying them either. there is some good info on foods here, i was just wondering if there were other suggestions, on both diet as well as their behavior, the constant pacing has be a little worried...
note, after i defrost my forzen food, i rinse it in RO, then soak some Selcon and a few drops of vitamin c, and occasionally a drop or two of garlic

E.intheC
12/09/2013, 10:06 AM
This is a great thread. I was reading a bit today about their diet in the wild, and it looks like most clownfish consume zooplankton and leftover fish from their host anemones. They also eat algae.

My clowns have never been too picky, but I want my pair to start breeding (and produce healthy young), so I've been paying much more attention.

I've heard most Rod's food contains garlic. I'm not a fan.