PDA

View Full Version : acro help.... pls

matt210G
01/05/2012, 07:46 PM
I recently decided to try a few sps in my lps dominated mixed reef. Tank perameters as follows. 2 yr old 75 g, 30g sump, 20g refugium. I lighting is 2 x 250w 20k radiums and 2 x 96w cf 50/50. CF run 10 hrs, mh 8 hrs. Flow is providd by 4 koralia 4s that are on a controller that creates a random flow. I Run a Uv, gfo and carbon in tlf reactors. Dose 2 part bionic 2 x weekly.
Chemistry
Sal - 1.026, temp 75.5-78, Nat, nit, am, phos all read 0/undetectable. Ca 480, alk

Frags placed in QT for observation and after 5 days noticed that 1 green acro has developed white areas. All seamed well yesterday and two other frags (plating acro and digi) doing fine. Being a newb to SPS I am not sure where to begin.
Inspected with mag glass and do not see any aefw. Qt tank uses 2 x 54w T5 mounted about 6" above water. Rack keeps SPS right below water line

I have done a coral rx dip and placed frag in dt at mid level. I am hoping that stable perameter in dt will be my ally.
Feeding phyto, cyclopeeze.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in adance

Frick
01/05/2012, 11:35 PM
Hard to tell. It's stressed. Maybe Gemmifera http://sdmas.com/corals/352.php

I don't think power compacts are going to cut it. That is a high light coral and more importantly it needs very high flow. Your params seem fine, just keep the alk stable that could make or break a sensitive acro.

matt210G
01/06/2012, 09:22 AM
Thanks Fick,
The PC provide only supplemental lighting for a 1 hr period pre and post 2 x 250w MH.

I also left out that my Ph is steady at 8.2....

So after 1 day I noticed a little more "tissue loss" on 1 branch. I decided to cut the waining stalk off of the base to try and eliminate any further wasting. I guess sit and wait then ?

Frick
01/06/2012, 01:19 PM
Thanks Fick,
The PC provide only supplemental lighting for a 1 hr period pre and post 2 x 250w MH.

I also left out that my Ph is steady at 8.2....

So after 1 day I noticed a little more "tissue loss" on 1 branch. I decided to cut the waining stalk off of the base to try and eliminate any further wasting. I guess sit and wait then ?

Ahh yes i see that now, i overlooked sorry. I would wait be fore you do any more dipping. If it hasn't changed by now you might be out of the clear. Just play around with your water flow. Thicker branched acro like that one will require strong flow. So get it in front of one of those K4s if you can and test the alk daily if possible.