PDA

View Full Version : led for a 125

gguertin
01/05/2012, 08:57 PM
Is there an led system that works on a 125 with sps?

I have not looked into lighting in a few years but its that time again bulbs are due and I would seriously consider a new lighting system but the last time I looked at leds I believe some were saying leds were iffy with hard corals after a few months or something like that?

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

sabbath
01/05/2012, 09:01 PM
Tagging along. :)

jayinh
01/05/2012, 09:04 PM
^^ same here, i am thinking of doing the same on my 125.

are you thinking of a D.I.Y. or premade fixture?

gguertin
01/05/2012, 09:10 PM
Actually I would be willing to do either depending on what I hear back on this thread. I already have a canopy but my old light was a premade fixture as well...

jfingers8
01/05/2012, 09:49 PM
for premade your going to hear either AI or Radion.

gguertin
01/05/2012, 09:51 PM
are they capable of supporting an sps tank? I am not a full sps tank yet but that is more the direction I would like to go...

Essencereef
01/05/2012, 10:07 PM
for premade your going to hear either AI or Radion.

Ha ha, you've got that right! Having used only Radions so far, I would say it's a tough call, but with my experience of MH bleaching the corals, I would go with Radion, I got enough evidence to draw a conclusion that it provides "just right" amount of light. It will not fry your corals like AI, and will not under-light them like Illumina. I originally thought of Maxspect, but "rainbowing effect" is the real deal breaker there. Radion was built to illuminate all sorts of tanks up to 24 inch depth (anything more than that would be very underlit on the sandbed) If you want more "reserve power" to experiment in the future, then your choice would be AI as it can focus the light with deeper penetration than Radion. From my years of experience in DIY, I've always concluded that I "should have just bought the freaking thing pre-manufactured)" It usually ends up costing less and working better. After all, how many of us are electrical engineers with biology degrees? :)

gguertin
01/05/2012, 10:07 PM
There are many many diy led threads. Does anyone know of a good one that covers a 6' tank?