PDA

View Full Version : Tunze 9002 Impeller

tgunn
01/05/2012, 10:43 PM
I've got a Tunze Nano DOC Protein Skimmer 9002 with the 800.04A Nano pump. I haven't used it in a couple years and decided to press it into service recently. Prior to storage it was cleaned thoroughly by dissassembling and soaking the parts in vinegar over night.

I'm experiencing an issue where the pump will run for a bit, but then jam up. I can take off the impeller cover and manually turn it to get it going. It won't run out of water at all. Curiously, the impeller is tough to push onto the silver shaft in the pump, as if the impeller shaft is now thicker, or the hole in the impeller is smaller. I tried soaking it in both vinegar and muriatic acid to no avail. It's apart again and will spend the night in the vinegar.

Any ideas what is going on here?

Thanks,
Tyler

tgunn
01/06/2012, 06:53 AM
I used a thin diamond coated drill bit to gently open up the hole for the impeller shaft, and it seems to work okay now. I trust a replacement impeller can be bought?

Thanks,
Tyler

rvitko
01/06/2012, 09:42 AM
Yes, the impeller is 0800.042. For the future don't use muriatic acid, strong acids cause the plastic parts to swell. Vinegar should be fine, It is important to soak the pump and impeller as seperate parts as the vinegar will have difficulty penetrating the space between the shaft and magnet.

tgunn
01/06/2012, 09:56 AM
Yes, the impeller is 0800.042. For the future don't use muriatic acid, strong acids cause the plastic parts to swell. Vinegar should be fine, It is important to soak the pump and impeller as seperate parts as the vinegar will have difficulty penetrating the space between the shaft and magnet.

Ah ha! That must have been what happened then; the muriatic acid I used in the past must have caused the impeller to swell, making it difficult to remove, and making it a tight fit rendering it stuck easily.

I just discovered a MaxiJet I hadn't used in a long while had the same problem too.

Okay, I'll order up a replacement impeller and make sure not to use muriatic in the future.

Thanks!
Tyler