PDA

View Full Version : phyto contraption

kloud3
01/07/2012, 03:16 AM
im new to clams and know they need phytoplankton and that it also benefits the corals, phytoplankton is expensive, not sure why it wont live and grow in the aquarium on its own and have seen some ways of making it in 2 liter bottles but what if i took a phosban reactor, with no pads or phosban, put it in the refugium, under the lighting, seeded it with live phyto, but only turned it on for a few seconds a day, would it have a safe haven in which to grow with the proper nutrients? could i do the same with pods in order to force them out instead of waiting for them to swim out of the refugium?

BlueCorn
01/07/2012, 01:02 PM
[moved]

DiscusHeckel
01/07/2012, 02:34 PM
Hi,

According to Michael Fatherree, clams may not need to be fed in aquaria (http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/7/inverts).

I have six clams in my tank and have never specifically fed them so far. As long as you feed your fish regularly, provide good lighting and maintain good water parameters, your clams should thrive.

hth- :twitch:

moliken
01/07/2012, 09:50 PM
+! on discus comments.
no feeding needed if you feed fish and have good lihting

sivert55
01/09/2012, 05:39 PM
once they're over 1", the zooxanthelae in their mantles can create enough glucose from photosynthesis to feed the clam. just keep the alk and cal up and the other params in bounds and they'll do fine.
Also, read Fatherree's book of you get time. it's awesome. Also full of beautiful photos