PDA

View Full Version : DOSING A SPS reef

NikeLV
01/07/2012, 11:13 PM
HEY RC, I have my 100 gallon reef aquarium running with anthias, 1 oce. clown, and 1 coral beauty.I have 1 montipora frag, 1 stylophora, 6 acropora (5 growing frags), 4 soft, 2 polyps, and 1 LPS. I use 20 lbs of Miracle Mud in my refugium.

I use Seachem Reef Fusion 2-part. Should I dose small increments every 2 days, because I don't have a heavy load, for my SPS coral? I find mixed reviews on every calcium test kit out there, salifert, red sea, api, etc, which is the most reliable and accurate Calcium Test kit out there?

I am also looking into dosing Iodine and Strontium. My xenia's don't pulse so I want to try supplementing Iodine. Is strontium equivalent to calcium for SPS corals?

Metal Man 1221
01/07/2012, 11:26 PM
I use API Ca and Alk and Salifert for Mg. There are MANY threads on preferred test kit options, just do a search.

You should probably read some articles on supplementation of Ca and Alk to better understand their relationship in your tank. You cant really just add randomly. You will need to dose according to your tanks demand. And never dose what you dont or cant test for.

Not all xenia pulse, you may not have pulsing xenia.

NikeLV
01/07/2012, 11:43 PM
I use API Ca and Alk and Salifert for Mg. There are MANY threads on preferred test kit options, just do a search.

You should probably read some articles on supplementation of Ca and Alk to better understand their relationship in your tank. You cant really just add randomly. You will need to dose according to your tanks demand. And never dose what you dont or cant test for.

Not all xenia pulse, you may not have pulsing xenia.

Oh I do test my tank's calcium and alkalinity, with API's test kits. I just want to know if there are any other calcium test kits that are more accurate because API's test kits are so cheap; idk why others are more expensive.

I do know what calcium and alk do for my tank, i don't know if strontium has the same strong effect on sps coral as calcium. I know strontium helps, but how come most reefers only dose 2-parts.

I got my xenia from LiveAquaria and they said that all the frags come from one huge mother piece. somehow, I can't believe that mother Pom Pom Xenia was not pulsing :o
The xenia's pulsing does not affect its health does it? It pulses very little when I turn off all the powerheads and pumps and feed the tank. But, I don't think its pulsing, just collecting the food :)

I would be too afraid of dosing anything without testing my tanks parameters. :P but I did not ask if I needed that calcium and alk, I asked if I should just dose small increments, OFTEN, to keep the calcium and alk stable because I have a light load of sps and they don't take in too much calcium.

Defuse
01/07/2012, 11:48 PM
I have been using Red Sea Pro tests for Calcium, Alk, Mag. They are all titration tests which are more accurate IME.

The kits are expensive up front $30ish per kit but you can buy reagent refills for less than a new kit.

Metal Man 1221
01/07/2012, 11:57 PM
I asked if I should just dose small increments, OFTEN, to keep the calcium and alk stable because I have a light load of sps and they don't take in too much calcium.

That would be something to determine by testing. If your levels are below what you want them at, increase your dosing. If they rise above what you want them at decrease your dosing. You just need to reach equilibrium in your supplement addition/demand.

NikeLV
01/08/2012, 01:14 AM
I have been using Red Sea Pro tests for Calcium, Alk, Mag. They are all titration tests which are more accurate IME.

The kits are expensive up front $30ish per kit but you can buy reagent refills for less than a new kit.

I will try that. Thanks!