PDA

View Full Version : Calcium reactor replacement pump?

iLLwiLL
01/08/2012, 09:32 PM
Looks like I have a small slow leak coming from my calcium reactor around where the pump hooks to it. I really cant stand the pump thats on there now, its an octopus model that I can hear from the next room if I leave the stand door open.

I would like to replace the pump with an eheim or even a mag but i'm unsure of what GPH and inlet / outlet sizes to be looking for in the new pump. The reactor was sold to me as a reef octopus cr-140d, but is different from any other one I've seen in pictures online. the sticker on the pump is missing, so i'm not sure what model it is.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b384/willpicardi/reactor.jpg

Any thoughts on what pump is on this, and what I could use as a replacement? Also, any tips on how to do the swap would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

~Will.

sirreal63
01/09/2012, 07:47 AM
Here is the reactor, it isn't an Octo, the SWC should be your first clue. :-)
http://www.saltwaterconnection.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=23&zenid=3f8c67ff0abcfe798c71cb6125b9adac

As for the pump, a better pic would be helpful but you can replace it with a higher gph pump. From the pic it looks like an Atman and that would make sense. If you can handle the plumbing, your pump choices are endless. Personally I would put an Eheim 1260 or an OR2500 on it or a larger Atman. Contact SWC and see if you figure out what is currently on it. It isn't a bad reactor and will handle a larger tank easily.

iLLwiLL
01/09/2012, 12:26 PM
I have seen that one on the SWC site before, but it doesn't have the hard PVC connecting the 2 chambers together. It looks identical to both the SWC and the reef octopus and others I have seen (even has the same part number), but none seem to have the hard plumbing to the 2nd chamber.

think a mag 5 would do the trick? how would I go about plumbing the pump externally to the reactor . . . is it as easy as finding parts to fit and gluing them on with PVC cement??

~Will.

sirreal63
01/09/2012, 02:01 PM
It is the same model, but yours could be an earlier model. I would not be surprised if Octo and SWC bought the same reactor from the same company and just re-badged it.

As far as the Mag 5, it will work but the flow will be reduced with the smaller plumbing. Which pump you use may depend on how you can do the plumbing. Even a waterblaster would work great, and is also a low wattage pump. The hard part will be finding the fittings to connect the new pump, and that isn't hard at all, you could even soft plumb it with tubing if you had to. I don't think you will have much issue with the plumbing. When checking out pumps, try and find one with the same size input as the one you have, it will make it easier as far as space is concerned.