PDA

View Full Version : thinking about H. Firefish, concerned?

rajkovich207
01/08/2012, 11:29 PM
An LFS has these beauties for $85, and my dad offered to get me one for my birthday (21!). I've been contemplating one of these fellas for quite some time now but never wanted to take the financial plunge. I currently have a lubbocks fairy wrasse and a clown due to come out of QT Wednesday. The tank is a 20L with about 27 lbs of LR in the DT. I am worried that the wrasse or possibly even the clown will pick on the firefish because they both will have had several weeks to get established before he is introduced. I was hoping to get a few peoples opinions on this fish, and how successful they are, as well as how likely he is to be picked on with my current inhabitants. Thank you to everyone in advance for the replies! And happy reefing!
Tony

burbarry
01/09/2012, 06:42 AM
In the past every fire fish I had took the leap of death out of the tank even tried them in a 40 gallon by them selfs still jumped out. Not sure why. But might want to keep that in mind. The longest I ever had any were a pair I got they both sat near the bottom of the tank for about a month. Then one day one jumped out the next the other one. So, I have not bought any more. I went through 7 over the years.

snorvich
01/09/2012, 06:47 AM
They do jump. But so do fairy wrasses.

rajkovich207
01/09/2012, 01:37 PM
Yea I have a very tight fitting lid. I had a purple firefish but after a few mistakes I made I lost him. I'm just concerned that the wrasse may pick on him. Thank you for the replies.

snorvich
01/09/2012, 05:27 PM
I have a pair. My cleaner wrasse harasses them (I could not help myself) but they survive.

piusma
01/09/2012, 11:18 PM
I would not recommend it with your wrasse in such a small tank. I had a well established firefish in a 180 gallon and after I introduced some wrasses and tangs, it stops feeding. I am very positive that it was because it's a reclusive type fish not parasites or anything related as I fully QT all my fish with prazi and copper before introducing them to the DT.

If I were going to try them again, it'll definitely be a very peaceful settings.

Steven

Steven

Rybren
01/10/2012, 07:49 PM
I have a Lubbocks and it is the most laid back fish in the tank. Even the YWG is more aggressive than him.

dirtyBit
01/11/2012, 03:41 PM
Make sure you don't have any crabs (like emerald). I bought two firefish and an emerald ate both one day after adding them.

yh1185
01/11/2012, 04:02 PM
Make sure you don't have any crabs (like emerald). I bought two firefish and an emerald ate both one day after adding them.

I hope this isn't true? I plan on getting 2 firefish, but i already have some emeralds in the tank... Would i have to throw the emeralds in the sump? They are fine with my clown + coral beauty. Though they tend to pick at my zoas(more like inbetween)

launchnukes
01/12/2012, 06:35 AM
I have 4 helfrichis in my 300. Model citizens and it seems everyone else in the tank ignores them. Helfrichis are one of my favorite fish.

fire_06786
01/12/2012, 08:39 PM
I bought two today....nothing is bothering them. I have 3 yellow tangs, pigmy angel, regal angel,clown,cardinal,sleeper goby, and file fish.

Tremelle
01/13/2012, 11:55 AM
I have 2 Helfrichis in a 28 gallon nano cube. One of them would try to jump out every evening within 30 seconds of the lights being turned out. The light was a metal halide. I replaced the metal halide with a led fixture and they suddenly stopped trying to jump out the tank. Even though the led had an instant off it did not seem to effect them the same. Go figure.

They are kept with a Yasha goby pair with Tiger pistol shrimp, a Carribean pistol shrimp and a Tanaka Pygmy Wrasse.