PDA

View Full Version : Am i missing anything??

joel913
01/09/2012, 12:32 AM
so i was just wondering if i have everything right before i fill my tank. ive got a 125 gallon with a 55 gallon sump that i just finished yesterday. i got alot of the plumbing done today, going to finish off tomorrow after class. im getting the skimmer sometime this week i hope to put in the sump. i plan i running a BB fuge with cheato algae. i already have 80 lbs of agronite sand, plan on getting another 80 on wednesday-thursday. then i will get the live rock sometime in the next two weeks. am i missing anything?? add the salt after i have water in there, then throw my live rock in and let it cycle, am i missing anything??

ludiNano
01/09/2012, 12:43 AM
Do you have a return pump, heater, Power heads?

What do you have for lights?

Will this be reef or fowlr?

Its generally best to mix the salt before you add it to the tank, however since you're just filling it, it would be ok to mix in tank. But with the water changes that come down the road, you should mix before you add it to the tank.

Be sure you simulate a power outage to make sure your sump doesn't overflow.

nlgill13
01/09/2012, 12:46 AM
Sounds pretty good, I would suggest mixing saltwater outside of the tank, although plenty of people mix salt in the tank.

One other suggestion, add your live rock first, then at about 4 or 5" of saltwater, then add your sand and let it settle before adding more water

joel913
01/09/2012, 12:46 AM
i have a 2000 gph pump ( a bit big i know, but plan dialing it down a bit and feeding the refugium, as well as a chiller,reacter etc down the road). as for light i have 2 250 watt metal halides (getting the bulbs around friday). and i plan on doing a full reef at some point down the road. i have two 950 gph power heads for inside the DT, is that enough flow???

nlgill13
01/09/2012, 12:48 AM
probably want bigger powerheads if you want to have sps coral in your tank

joel913
01/09/2012, 12:51 AM
should i get 2 larger powerheads or just add a few more smaller ones?? oh, and i wanted to ask, is it okay to just use RO water. i know the best is RODI, but i really dont have the money for a filter right now. will RO work good enough for now??

capschamp
01/09/2012, 07:27 AM
It depends on what you'll be keeping if you need more flow. I personally dont want lots of powerheads, but plan on having sps, so i'm goin to use larger powerheads. I would wait and add them as needed. Ro water is ok, but as stated rodi is better. You should get a tds meter and check the ro water. With new filters my rodi is always 0 tds.

MrTuskfish
01/09/2012, 12:24 PM
Do you have a QT tank? If not, I guarantee the day will come when you wish you had one and used it with all new fish.

blt
01/09/2012, 01:10 PM
oh, and i wanted to ask, is it okay to just use RO water. i know the best is RODI, but i really dont have the money for a filter right now. will RO work good enough for now??

Depends entirely on the TDS levels in the RO water. You might get < 5, you might get > 100.

Rockys_Pride
01/09/2012, 01:18 PM
i have a 2000 gph pump

Is that after the headloss?

Have you plugged everything in to make sure you don't trip your breaker?
Do you have a GFCI?

Timers for lights?

You can mix in your tank the first time, but you'll need a mixing station of some sort to mix in the future. Make sure to check for leaks before adding salt.

How are you going to top off?

Have you leveled your stand?

joel913
01/09/2012, 03:16 PM
It depends on what you'll be keeping if you need more flow. I personally dont want lots of powerheads, but plan on having sps, so i'm goin to use larger powerheads. I would wait and add them as needed. Ro water is ok, but as stated rodi is better. You should get a tds meter and check the ro water. With new filters my rodi is always 0 tds.
thats what i was kind of thinking, because its going to take a while untill i get corals as it is, might as well save the money for now. ill probly want to be getting a few sps corals along the road at some point.

joel913
01/09/2012, 03:18 PM
Do you have a QT tank? If not, I guarantee the day will come when you wish you had one and used it with all new fish.

nooo, i dont have one. at least not yet. as long as were on the topic, how are you supposed to set those things up? with just a canister filter or just a tank and water?? those things confuse the hell out of me?? =/

joel913
01/09/2012, 03:22 PM
Is that after the headloss?

Have you plugged everything in to make sure you don't trip your breaker?
Do you have a GFCI?

Timers for lights?

You can mix in your tank the first time, but you'll need a mixing station of some sort to mix in the future. Make sure to check for leaks before adding salt.

How are you going to top off?

Have you leveled your stand?

the pump is rated for 2000 gph at 1 ft of height, i think it said somewhere around 1400 at 6 feet. but i plan i dialing it back a bit and feeding the fuge and possibly a manifold. i havent plugged everything in yet, so at this point im kind of just crossing my fingers =/. GFCI??? ive got a few timers for the lights. and i wanted to ask, are moon lights or night time lights really necessary at first?? and as for top off, i plan on doing it manually at first but plan on getting an ATO system in the near future.

DUPioneers
01/09/2012, 03:35 PM
[snip] GFCI??? [snip]

GFCI = Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter

They are electrical outlets that have been constructed with an automatic circuit in them that shuts off power to the outlet if a ground fault is detected.

In the event of a spill or an inadvertent drop of something electrical into your tank, a GFCI can save your life...or the life of your dog, kid, wife, friend, lover...etc...etc...

Given that we are working with electricity and water in VERY close proximity, they are considered a requirement in this hobby.

You can purchase them at Home Depot or Lowes and they install much the same as a regular electrical outlet. Anything near your tank needs to be plugged into a GFCI outlet.

Again, GFCIs can save your life.

joel913
01/09/2012, 03:41 PM
GFCI = Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter

They are electrical outlets that have been constructed with an automatic circuit in them that shuts off power to the outlet if a ground fault is detected.

Again, GFCIs can save your life.

ohhhhh, okay, yes i have a very good one. its one i had on a old theater setup, it shuts off power if anythings wrong, and sends out a "clean" electric signal...(or something like that, im having a hard time explaining it haha)

MrTuskfish
01/09/2012, 03:46 PM
nooo, i dont have one. at least not yet. as long as were on the topic, how are you supposed to set those things up? with just a canister filter or just a tank and water?? those things confuse the hell out of me?? =/

Simplest thing there is: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1846124#4

DUPioneers
01/09/2012, 04:14 PM
ohhhhh, okay, yes i have a very good one. its one i had on a old theater setup, it shuts off power if anythings wrong, and sends out a "clean" electric signal...(or something like that, im having a hard time explaining it haha)

Not being for sure what you mean here, let me apologize in advance if we're saying the same thing here.....but it sounds like you're talking about a powerstrip.

There is a difference between a powerstrip and a GFCI outlet. Though many powerstrips have a GFCI integrated in them, you want to get an actual electrical outlet (the thing in the wall...) that is protected by a GFCI.

Think of the outlets you frequently see in hotel bathrooms with the "Test" and "Reset" buttons on them. THAT'S what you want.

The reason why is that if you ever have a major flood, sure your powerstrip GFCI will trip, but you will still have power going to the outlet in the wall that's powering your strip; which, as you're frantically trying to stop the water from pouring out onto the floor, can be an extremely dangerous situation.

Replacing standard outlets with GFCIs costs maybe $5 bucks per outlet and takes maybe 10 minutes.

It's well worth the hassle.

joel913
01/09/2012, 04:23 PM
ooohhhhh, okay. i get what your saying now. i thought you just ment a power strip that would shut off electricity. but i know what your talking about now. i will have to get one of those. i may have a few laying around here somewhere.

seapug
01/09/2012, 04:23 PM
If you don't feel comfortable playing electrician by installing a new outlet, you can also purchase a GFCI that plugs directly into the outlet, then all equipment plugs into the GFCI.

joel913
01/09/2012, 04:24 PM
Simplest thing there is: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1846124#4

ohhh, okay. so its basically just another smaller tank you can watch and treat your fish in, right???

joel913
01/09/2012, 04:28 PM
If you don't feel comfortable playing electrician by installing a new outlet, you can also purchase a GFCI that plugs directly into the outlet, then all equipment plugs into the GFCI.

ill just replace it, it cant be that hard, can it? there probably safer then the plug in ones??

DUPioneers
01/09/2012, 04:41 PM
ill just replace it, it cant be that hard, can it? there probably safer then the plug in ones??

Much, MUCH safer. And, if you're even remotely handy, every bit as easy.

seapug
01/09/2012, 04:41 PM

You'll be working with full power in-wall household wiring, so that's a judgement call you need to make yourself. Personally, I never tell anyone that tapping into and/or modifying a home's plumbing, gas or electrical lines is "no big deal," because doing it wrong kills people every day.

joel913
01/09/2012, 04:49 PM
You'll be working with full power in-wall household wiring, so that's a judgement call you need to make yourself. Personally, I never tell anyone that tapping into and/or modifying a home's plumbing, gas or electrical lines is "no big deal," because doing it wrong kills people every day.

cant i just cut the power while im working on it, then install everything then turn the power back on to test it???

DUPioneers
01/09/2012, 04:52 PM

Fair point.

I suppose I shouldn't be so cavalier about suggesting people personally mess around with household electricity. Assuming that, just because I know how to do it safely, everyone here does is potentially dangerous on my part.

:o

As such, joel913, if you're at all unsure of what you are doing when it comes to installing GFCIs, please get an expert's opinion. Seapug is right. Doing this stuff wrong kills people every day.

DUPioneers
01/09/2012, 05:04 PM
cant i just cut the power while im working on it, then install everything then turn the power back on to test it???

In general, yes.

However, what seapug is saying (and, to be honest, I agree...) is that simply saying "replace your outlets with a GFCI" implies a certain amount of electrical knowledge. If you're the type of guy who knows what you're doing and does this sort of thing all the time, you should be fine. But, if this is your first kick at the can of playing with your home's electrical system, then you might want to get an expert's opinion before you do anything.

As for me, this isn't a DIY home improvement forum, so I should be more careful about recommending that people personally get intimately involved with their home's electrical system. I shouldn't assume a reefer's level of familiarity with electricity any more than the more experienced people here should assume MY level of familiarity with the intricacies of kalkwasser....

Anyway. Do replace your tank outlets with GFCIs...but if you're unsure of what you're doing, contact an expert before you electrocute yourself.

Saltydrip
01/09/2012, 05:05 PM
Gfci arnt that cut and dry. They are more like $35-$40 and to have it installed is going to be in the the ballpark of $75-$100. An electrician will charge for the whole hour even if they are there only 15 min.

You need to sorce the circuit your going to be taping into. If you add a GFCI and then that circuit goes into a bathroom that has a GFCI in it NEITHER of the GFCIs will work! Once that GFCI is installed all outlets powered after the GFCI will become protected. If you install one you should put it in the first outlet in the circuit but be sure there are no hard wired lights that would becom protected because not only do you now have water everywhere you are now in the dark and can't find the source!! They are very sensitive little buggers that need to be installed corectly. They arnt like a regular outlet. You can wire it wrong and it will still give power but not trip. They sell a simple GFCI tester for that very reason. The tester is like $15 if you want to do it yourself. I'm a very technical person and a fabricator by trade so it would be easy for me to do. Pluss I went to vo-tech for electrical and have done several of these installs. For someone who has no business opening a cover plate should NEVER attempt this as a first time electrical project withought supervision!!! You could save some money if you did it and had an electrician test it and sign off on it befor you power the circuit.

MarkGP
01/09/2012, 05:12 PM
Gfci arnt that cut and dry. They are more like $35-$40 and to have it installed is going to be in the the ballpark of $75-$100. An electrician will charge for the whole hour even if they are there only 15 min.

You need to sorce the circuit your going to be taping into. If you add a GFCI and then that circuit goes into a bathroom that has a GFCI in it NEITHER of the GFCIs will work! Once that GFCI is installed all outlets powered after the GFCI will become protected. If you install one you should put it in the first outlet in the circuit but be sure there are no hard wired lights that would becom protected because not only do you now have water everywhere you are now in the dark and can't find the source!! They are very sensitive little buggers that need to be installed corectly. They arnt like a regular outlet. You can wire it wrong and it will still give power but not trip. They sell a simple GFCI tester for that very reason. The tester is like $15 if you want to do it yourself. I'm a very technical person and a fabricator by trade so it would be easy for me to do. Pluss I went to vo-tech for electrical and have done several of these installs. For someone who has no business opening a cover plate should NEVER attempt this as a first time electrical project withought supervision!!! You could save some money if you did it and had an electrician test it and sign off on it befor you power the circuit.

Well said!

joel913
01/09/2012, 05:26 PM
haha okay okay, ill hold off on the GFCI for a bit. i have done some electrical work, but not a whole lot, ill hold off for now. but besides that, does everything seem okay?? am i missing anything else??

Saltydrip
01/09/2012, 05:36 PM
It looks like you got it from here.

Only thing I see is that I don't get mixing the salt in the tank. If you have live rock and sand won't the freshwater kill the liverock? Pluss if you go too high a salinity then your taking water out to put fresh in. I'm a fan of pre mixing. I'm not a SW pro like these guys so they would no better but it just makes Sence to mix first. Pluss I would think it would be easyer to mix in a brute. Round walls, no dead zones for "lost salt and the phantom salinity increase" (the title of my next book!! J/k).

Opinions anyone???

joel913
01/09/2012, 05:40 PM
i am defiantly going to pre-mix the water when i do water changes in the future, but for the initial fill up, i just think it would be easier to do it in the tank itself so i dont have to lift 170 gallons of water up to the top of my tank. after i have the salt in the tank and its well mixed up and everything, then i will add the live rock, cheato, etc. does this sound okay everyone? or are there any benefits of pre-mixing for the initial fill up??

Saltydrip
01/09/2012, 05:56 PM
It's fine in a dead tank. The three times I set up a salt I built up my rock with only about half the water so I wasnt up to my armpit in saltwater.

joel913
01/10/2012, 03:15 PM
okay, sounds good! =) i think im setting pretty good as it is right now =) cant wait to really get started! :fish1: