PDA

View Full Version : New Powder Blue Tang advice

jlnielsen13
01/09/2012, 07:01 AM
Hey RC,

I just received a 7" PB Tang from DIVDEN last week. He seems to be doing really well so far but since there is such a negative stigma with these fish I thought I would pick the RC community's brain for success stories and advice with this fish. I really want to provide the best care possible. He is in a 200 gallon FOWLR tank.

What foods did you find that your PBT really liked? (So far all he eats is nori and frozen formula 2)
How often do you need to feed them to keep them "fat"?
Does anyone have long term success with this fish as all I here are all the negatives?

Thanks for the replies,

Jim

jbonez
01/09/2012, 07:39 AM
i here once they get used to the tank they become bullys....

ezerasurfr
01/09/2012, 08:07 AM
thats a big fish for that size tank, I would definitely expect a bully. they are grazers, so you'll see him eating all the time. but nori or even lettuce and a mixture mysis or brine shrimp will keep him "fat". These fish should be fed a few times a day, not just once.

Palting
01/09/2012, 08:29 AM
Hi, Jim. Your powder blue will be fine in that 200 gallon. Minimum for these guys is 125 gal. I have 4 tangs myself, and they have al grown fat in the 2 years I've had them.

Althought Tangs graze all day long, it is only urban legend that you personally need to feed them multiple times a day. They graze on algae, so make sure to leave one tank wall "dirty", and don't go crazy maintaining and algae free tank. Leave the algae alone, and the tang will keep happily mowing it down and not let it be a problem while he keeps getting fat! :).

I feed my tangs nori, of course, but they also go bonkers for the IO gel food, either marine blend or herbivore blend. I also feed them flakes occasionally, and they love it. They pretty much are pigs and will eat anything. I've tried NLS pellets, and they just ignore it.

Here are two vids for you on my tangs feeding.

<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VGN-9TgV0qw?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VGN-9TgV0qw?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="1280" height="720"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yeH4kDVAM0Y?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yeH4kDVAM0Y?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1280" height="720" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

ezerasurfr
01/09/2012, 09:10 AM
cool video, but I must have missed your PBT in there. Actually, I didnt see any acanthurus genus fish in your tank. The acanthurus genus, (achilles, convict, white cheek/ powder brown, powder blue ect) tangs, tend to be much more aggressive than some of the other genus of tangs (ie zebrasoma or naso).

While I believe your fish will be fine and have a happy life in a 200g tank, I believe its size will have an effect on its attitude toward the other fish in the tank. I believe it would be a more passive fish if it had more real-estate.

Palting
01/09/2012, 09:31 AM
cool video, but I must have missed your PBT in there. Actually, I didnt see any acanthurus genus fish in your tank. The acanthurus genus, (achilles, convict, white cheek/ powder brown, powder blue ect) tangs, tend to be much more aggressive than some of the other genus of tangs (ie zebrasoma or naso).

While I believe your fish will be fine and have a happy life in a 200g tank, I believe its size will have an effect on its attitude toward the other fish in the tank. I believe it would be a more passive fish if it had more real-estate.

I guess you missed the lieutenant :) (Acanthurus tennenti) . He's that pretty one with the almost lyre tail and the shoulder bars. Excellent algae mower, peaceful. My blue hippo is the one who will rarely chase.

Tangs can get territorial, and can be a risk regardless of genus. IMO, he'll be fine in the 200 gal, though.

ezerasurfr
01/09/2012, 09:59 AM
I didnt miss it, just thought it was another juvenile unicorn from the naso genus. its definitely a nice collection you have there.

geaux xman
01/09/2012, 10:33 AM
my 5" PBT eats(3-5x/day) mostly ocean nutrition formula 2 pellets. the NLS 3mm pellets i feed is too big for it. same with PE mysis being too big. my PBT doesnt like nori on a clip as much either. also my other fish are too aggressive when feeding nori on a clip. in QT, the PBT tore up nori rubberband on a rock.

DD measurements sometimes are bigger than what i've measured. just my experience.

the PBT has put on a lot of weight from when I first got it from LA about 3 months ago.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LmkRnZOeYpY?rel=0&amp;hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

geaux xman
01/09/2012, 10:42 AM
got any pics/video of the fish yet Jim?