PDA

View Full Version : Strawberry Shortcake HELP

pandaboy9777
01/09/2012, 08:04 PM
I have had my strawberry shortcake in my tank for a couple months and it was doing great but now it browned out. i have perfect stats on my tank like .01 nitrate and 0 nitrate and struff but i think the reason is that i have leds. all my other sps are flourishing. its in low flow and at the top of my tank. its still alive because it has its super long tentacles when i feed. i need some advice from all of you please

acasp4
01/09/2012, 08:10 PM
corals brown for several reasons find out what changed and correct the problem.

danreefman
01/10/2012, 02:18 AM
try more flow

RyanTurner
01/10/2012, 01:31 PM
Which LEDs do you have? I bought two Ecotech Radion fixtures and my SPS went from beautiful to a gross nasty brown. I sold those because they were junk in my opinion and replaced them with my t5s and the color is coming back.

Mark 75g
01/10/2012, 06:51 PM
My strawberry shortcake is at the bottom of my tank. 30in tall with 250watt mh 14k phoenix. It has great flow and is an awesome pink tip with green background. I think you are giving it too much light.

The mother colony that i got it from was at the bottom of a 24 in tank with leds. that were another 1ft off the water.

chefzif
01/10/2012, 07:35 PM
Low light and good flow!

Nanighan
01/11/2012, 07:03 AM
I have LED's and my SS frag is growing at a good rate and keeping its colors. Keep them lower in the tank.

Reefoholicc
01/11/2012, 07:14 AM
The same story happened with my SS frag. When I switched to LEDs it became a nasty brown. Eventually it died. LEDs are still a mystery in my opinion. I have tried very low intensity and cranked them up gradually. Everything browned out. My gorgeous ORA Red Planet was a deep red color under my MH and T5 combo. Now under the LEDs it is a pale pink.

I have been cranking the intensity up lately and colors seem to be coming back.

Go figure!

Der ABT
01/11/2012, 09:08 AM
low to mid light, lots of flow

mine is about 4-6 inches away from an mp40 on full
i have a small frag that is actually browning out in the same system next to a slightly larger frag that is keeping its colors just fine....not sure whats up but also Sold a frag to a local who has LEDs and a new tank, it browned at first and he did some light adjustments and stopped dosing stuff, added some fish and kept good water quality and colors are coming back.
hopefully yours does the same

power boat jim
01/11/2012, 11:16 AM
When I swithced my tank to LEDS my ss didnt look so good either. I moved it to the bottom of the tank till it colored back up. Then I put it back into its old spot and its been fine since.

Reefoholic, My Red planet is also pale pink and wont regain its color. Is yours coming back to life under more intesity?