PDA

View Full Version : Is This EB8 Strip Broken??

myfast
01/09/2012, 10:30 PM
I've got 2 EB8 strips. One labeled "#4" and the other is "#5". I got both set up last weekend and have a "power fail" alarm notification and, randomly, would hear an alarm on #5. I've been keeping an eye on that one and just started noticing that my lights on #5 are going on and coming off randomly. That prompted me to check the other outlets which I found are also working sporadically. It seems that only 1 of the 8 outlets on this particular strip (outlet #3) is actually working as it should. I checked the data log on the Apex for the amp draw and have found that, randomly, it drops to 0.0 and then goes back to a normal level (see the photo at the link below: the strip in question is the column on the far right and the one just to the left of it is my other EB8 strip, which is working just fine).

So, my hunch is that this strip is defective. Anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks for any input.

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu325/grannysmith007pb/AquaControllerApex.jpg

burbarry
01/10/2012, 06:45 AM
ok couple of questions for you. First: Do you have 5 of these stripes hooked up? Second: Do you have 2 of these hooked up to the same outlet on your wall?

If you answered yes to either of these. You may be drawing to much from that circuit in your house. I think that most are only 20 amps. Now lets say you sit at 8 on both most of the time. Then lights kick on and heater/chiller. This could be enough of a jolt that would cut out power just enough to send it into a reset. Which may be bad in the long run for a everything involved. Also, lets say that circuit in your house is not only used for the fish tank. A lot of times it will run multiple plugs and/or lights in a room. now that is where you would need to find out the total draw from the whole circuit involved.

Can you tell us what all you have plugged in to both sets of plugs. Also try and look for the total amp your circuit is on.

myfast
01/10/2012, 07:30 AM
Thanks for the comments.

There are 2 total strips and each is on a different circuit to avoid the problem you've mentioned. Some of the outlets on the strip in question randomly turn on and off while at least one of them works perfectly fine. It looses and regains power in a matter of minutes, so it's not related to losing power when other items kick on (like a chiller).

Thanks again for the thoughts although I'm not sure this is the problem?

swearint
01/10/2012, 08:43 AM
Do you have duplicated outlet names? This will cause flaky behavior. Otherwise, you should contact Neptune support support@neptunesys.com. There is a diagnostic they can perform to see if you are losing connection to the base unit. If that is happening, what you may be seeing is the outlets defaulting to the Fallback setting. I am assuming these are set to Fallback OFF.

Todd

myfast
01/11/2012, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the idea. There aren't any duplicates. I've contacted Neptune support and hopefully they can do that diagnostic test...

myfast
01/15/2012, 10:41 PM
FYI update - Neptune support was the final answer. They got into my system and it sounds like there was some calibration issue in the EB8 bar. It's been working fine for the last few days since they took a look. Hope it continues!

SC Reefaholic
01/16/2012, 12:38 PM
I had a similar issue with one of the EB8s on my new Apex. They remoted in and fixed it. Its been 4 months and all works perfectly. Its nice to have that kind of service.

aleonn
01/16/2012, 01:48 PM
Glad they fixed it! Just in case, however, place your critical devices like heaters and circulation pumps on a separate non-Apex outlet IMO. Just in case the outlet goes bad from firmware or technical issues.

L8ndeb
01/16/2012, 02:20 PM
Not to sound like a smart a$$, but wouldn't that kinda partly defeat the purpose of having a controller? I mean, we have the controller to auto control, and give us the option of manual control as well.
I have mine set for email alarms if anything goes wrong. That way I can address the issue BEFORE the tank goes south. JMHO

aleonn
01/20/2012, 06:53 PM
Not to sound like a smart a$$, but wouldn't that kinda partly defeat the purpose of having a controller? I mean, we have the controller to auto control, and give us the option of manual control as well.
I have mine set for email alarms if anything goes wrong. That way I can address the issue BEFORE the tank goes south. JMHO

When things are stable after a month, then that's when I'd put the heater and everything back on the controller. Sometimes with firmware issues, it can take a few weeks for a problem to manifest IME.