PDA

View Full Version : Active ingredient in Coral dips?

doctorgori
01/10/2012, 02:07 AM
didn't know if this question is best asked here or in the disease section...
or has it been asked already? What does anyone supect is the active ingredient in these dips?

...anyway, CoralRX and Revive both smell similar to me: like camphor or mentholatum or sumthin like that...in fact ReVive claims to be based on "plant Extracts" ....

So are we once again paying for repackaged "Deep Heating Rub" akin to "Aquarium Salts" and other marketing slight of hands?

Thisseemsfishy
01/10/2012, 02:10 AM
Probably marketing, but I would guess Iodine without looking at any of the labels.

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/10/2012, 07:13 AM
I think those that are not iodine based are generllyy proprietary so we cannot know what they are or judge without testing whether they are useful in any particular application.

fishflorist
01/10/2012, 07:39 AM
What is Revive used for ? I read the instruction but still can not get it.

All of my friends including me , we this Rivive to kill any possible insect , like flat worm, on a new come wild coral. Is this the main function of Revive ?

doctorgori
01/10/2012, 08:30 AM
What is Revive used for ? I read the instruction but still can not get it.

All of my friends including me , we this Rivive to kill any possible insect , like flat worm, on a new come wild coral. Is this the main function of Revive ?

you are right!
I got a bottle and I noticed it claims to do absolutley nothing...
but it does smell similar to CoralRX

fishflorist
01/10/2012, 09:21 AM
you are right!
I got a bottle and I noticed it claims to do absolutley nothing...
but it does smell similar to CoralRX

Thanks.

yes I remenber that I read the construction several time but it never mentioned flat worm or other things.

smsreefer
01/10/2012, 09:26 AM
Coral RX smells like Pine Sol to me.
But it works !

JMLewis
01/10/2012, 09:51 AM
Here's a video I found a few months ago on using a comon pesticide you can buy at home depot or lowes and for around $12 for a huge bottle of it you save tons of money over buying coralrx and revive and it does the same thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UubUsZ2CSs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

doctorgori
01/10/2012, 02:38 PM
:cool: ^ begs the question: i wonder who had the balz to even attempt that in the 1st place (sorta reminds me of all the cave men that died figuring out what was edible) :bigeyes:

JMLewis
01/10/2012, 03:09 PM
:cool: ^ begs the question: i wonder who had the balz to even attempt that in the 1st place (sorta reminds me of all the cave men that died figuring out what was edible) :bigeyes:

As long as it isn't me it's all good.

I kinda figured your probably trying to save a few bucks by cutting out the brand name cost. So kinda why I showed you that vid.

I do it every time I get new sps frags and it works great. Use at own risk of course.