PDA

View Full Version : Harlequin Tusk and Powder Blue Tang from DivDen

jlnielsen13
01/10/2012, 06:40 PM
Hello,

I recently received an order from DivDen online including a great PB tang and Harlequin Tusk from Australia. DIVDEN does an incredible job packing their fish including 6 bags, peanuts and a cooler for the fish's wild ride. Both are in one of my three tanks which is a 200 gallon FOWLR. The tang is doing awesome-even so I am still worried about her based on all the horror stories. She eats great and is a model citizen so far.

I am EXTREMELY concerned about the tusk!! He lays on the sandbed all day long looking really nervous and breathing more heavily than I would like. He ate only once since thursday and if I try to target feed him he seems to get more nervous. I have read that they sometimes are lazy but this is getting ridiculous. I am thinking now he might not make it!! Check out the pics and let me know if you have any advice. This is driving me nuts!!

Thanks for the input and help,

JIM

gmate
01/10/2012, 06:47 PM
What are your parameters? Temp PH salinity alkalinity ammonia nitrite nitrate phosphate etc.

How did you acclimate the fish into your tank?

What are the other inhabitants of the tank? Could there be an aggression issue?

How long have these fish been in the tank now?

More information would definitely help. Best of luck :)

jlnielsen13
01/10/2012, 07:20 PM
Tank Params:
salinity-1.021
ph- 8.3
ammonia -0
nitrite- 0
nitrate 60 ppm - (0 in my two reefs because of fuge but can't get lower in this tank??)

Drip acclimation for 1 1/2 hours till salinity matched. I think DD keeps their salinity around 1.017 as I tested it first upon arrival.

The tank has a large queen angel, squirrel fish, pbtang added same day and a few small wrasses. Haven't noticed any bullying but they do go right up to him and hover as if to say, "what's wrong with you man".

I wonder if this is normal behavior and I need to be patient or if hes toast.

Side note- I would love to attach more pictures and love how people put them in the actual post (not as a thumbnail). Can anyone help me with this??
Thanks Jim

jlnielsen13
01/11/2012, 06:25 AM
This morning he was in a new spot... but still just laying there. I hope he just needs time?? But will keep everyone updated.
JIM

Danzig
01/11/2012, 06:32 AM
Sounds like your just way overreactafreaking out, like my new word? I had to invent that after reading your OP. chill out brah hes probably fine.

Reef Bass
01/11/2012, 09:23 AM
To insert an image IN your post (as opposed to an attachment), post the pic to an image hosting site such as Photobucket, then copy the IMG tag info and paste that in the body of your RC post.

geaux xman
01/11/2012, 09:43 AM
you could try posting in the Fish Only section. I know theres quite a few guys that post there regularly that has a Harlequin Tusk.

In this section your thread will be several pages back in less than a day.

D-Nak
01/11/2012, 11:19 AM
My tusk used to to the same thing -- they like to "rest". In my experience, they are a lot like some triggers -- they look mean since they have big teeth -- but they are pretty docile. That said, just give it a few more days to see if he acclimates and starts to swim around more. I wouldn't try to target feed as you're probably stressing him out. Just feed the tank -- if he's hungry he'll go for the food. Also, if you're not already doing so, keep DD in the loop so they can help you as well. Good luck!

benchen8844
01/11/2012, 11:32 AM
he might like that whole month,im not worry about dd's fish,i love aussi tusk,so pretty http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc367/benchen8844/my%20400gallon%20fish%20tank/IMG_1097.jpg

D-Nak
01/11/2012, 11:37 AM
Don't mean to hijack, but @benchen8844... how is the tusk in your tank? Does he bother any of your coral or clams? How about your snails or hermits (if you have any, I think I see a couple of snails).

benchen8844
01/11/2012, 03:21 PM
D-NAK,he eat bristle worm, some tiny snail, will pick bigger snail if they outside down, never touch the shrimp,coral, calms

jlnielsen13
01/17/2012, 11:45 AM
Good news,
For the second straight day my tusk is swimming around the tank. He still hides once in a while but 95% of the time he is out in full view.

You guys were right-I just needed to give it time.
THanks,
JIM

f3honda4me
01/17/2012, 12:13 PM
With a 1.5 hour drip acclimation, doesn't that mean the fish were in the bag water after opening the bag for 1.5 hours? I thought that was a huge no-no because it basically drastically drops PH in the bag water?

JustinReef
01/17/2012, 12:48 PM
This is totally normal for a tusk, they are very shy. I have had two in the past. One was always shy and cautious and one became very friendly and would take food out of my hand.

My all time favorite fish. Get him some snails and crabs to play with/eat. It's really fun watching them get the snail or crab out of the shell.

I used to feed lots of fresh seafood (previously frozen is important to kill parasites) like clams, mussels, shrimp, ect. They love it all.

He a beautiful looking fish!