PDA

View Full Version : Moorish Idol Question... Need Help!

wnehez
01/11/2012, 09:02 AM
So I recently purchased a Moorish Idol. It took a couple days but he is now eating krill, mysis and nibbles at my sponge which is fine as long as he is eating something. About 3 days after I got him, I noticed he has small brownish spots. They arent round or tiny like ich, the almost look like dirt or something of the sort. It is really strange. They are about 3/16" and run vertical on his body. He doesnt seem to be breathing heavy or scratching or acting odd in any way, just has developed these spots. Does anyone have any input on what this might be and how to treat it? I have googled and googled but couldn't find anything really like it. Weird. I just want to make sure its not some fungus infection or deadly.

Reef264
01/11/2012, 10:30 AM
Are they more like Blotches that sit on top of the skin, because that would most likely be A fungal infection, If it looks like long streaks of missing scales, flesh, etc...Then I would say HLLE(Head & Lateral Line Erosion).Are his Anal, or dorsal fins showing any withering?

wnehez
01/11/2012, 10:38 AM
Yes they look like blotches. His fins seem fine no erosion or withering, just these brown vertical blotches. Like I said they almost look like dirt on him but I know its not dirt and the scales seem fine, no erosion or indentations on him.

Allmost
01/11/2012, 10:40 AM
post a pic of him if you can ...

my Idol doent have scales.

could it be that its loosing weight and bones showing ?

pic would help alot. and feed him ALOT ! this fish needs alot of food.

wnehez
01/11/2012, 10:45 AM
I will try and get a close up pic of him tonight. And no it doesn't appear to be his bones. He is not terribly skinny, he actually is a healthy weight. And I feed him twice a day and he also has the sponge to munch on in between meals so I think he is being fed enough. Its just weird looking. If it is a fungus, what would be the best treatment. Please keep in mind I do not have a hospital tank so any treatment would have to be reef safe.

Reef264
01/11/2012, 10:57 AM
If its a fungal infection, there isn't a whole Lot of chance for survival, There are 2 Medicines that need to be administered in a Fungal Disease Product, J can't for the life ofe remember what they are...