PDA

View Full Version : White dots on tank

ozman05
01/11/2012, 02:44 PM
Hi everybody. I'm setting up a tank for the first time and have what's probably a dumb question, but I'm giong to ask anyway. I bought a used tank from a person and there are white dots all over the glass and the return pump. Any idea what these are? I'm at work now and can't post a pic, but if you need one to validate, I can provide that tonight. The tank does not have any water in it by the way if that matters. Do I need to clean it really well before I put water back into it and restock it? There are the white dots on the places where I mentioned and quite a bit of corraline algae on the back of the tank.

StephLionfish
01/11/2012, 02:50 PM
The white dots may be feather dusters. Tiny, white, spiral dots? I was going to say, " Look real close for the feathers." but if there's no water in there...Then they won't be out.

I'd clean the tank before you fill it up with saltwater. Coralline will grow back, and well...I guess try not to scrape the dusters too hard, and they may live, too ( If you have a soft heart like me ).

tebstan
01/11/2012, 02:50 PM
Hard to say without pics, but it's probably the remnants of barnacles and feather dusters

tebstan
01/11/2012, 02:52 PM
T. . . try not to scrape the dusters too hard, and they may live, too ( If you have a soft heart like me ).

me too :)

They survive rock being shipped and manhandled, so it's worth a try

thegrun
01/11/2012, 02:52 PM
They could be most anything by the description, but white vinegar is the cure! Use a soft scour pad and straight vinegar to remove them. You do not need to remove them if they don't bother you.

Sport507
01/11/2012, 03:26 PM
I say coralline that has dryed out and turn white. Vinegar soak will remove it.

ozman05
01/15/2012, 03:54 PM
Here are the dots that I was talking about.

gmate
01/15/2012, 04:30 PM
Looks like remnants of coraline algae and feather duster tubes. If they flake off when you brush it, I wouldn't worry about it.

For aesthetic purposes, make a solution that's 20% vinegar 80% hot water (out of the kitchen faucet is fine) in a good sized tub. You can get 1 gallon of vinegar for 2 bucks at a grocery store. Soak all your pumps and whatnot in it overnight. Then with a nice RO/DI or freshwater soaking for 15 minutes your equipment will be good as new.

ozman05
01/15/2012, 04:36 PM
Awesome. Thanks for your help!

gmate
01/15/2012, 04:38 PM
Best of luck and happy reefing :D