PDA

View Full Version : Lighting help for Nano

dangeroo
01/11/2012, 02:46 PM
I have an aquapod 24 that i would like to upgrade the lighting for. Is anyone currently using the ecoxotic pro module strips, and if so how many in what size tank? I contacted them and they suggested 1 12k/453 strip and 1 stunner strip. Didn't seem like enough to me, but what do i know?

Also, if anyone has retro'd these into an AIO, did you buy the reflector strip and was heat from the strips an issue?

Thanks!

ange062
01/11/2012, 03:49 PM
I have an aquapod 24 that i would like to upgrade the lighting for. Is anyone currently using the ecoxotic pro module strips, and if so how many in what size tank? I contacted them and they suggested 1 12k/453 strip and 1 stunner strip. Didn't seem like enough to me, but what do i know?

Also, if anyone has retro'd these into an AIO, did you buy the reflector strip and was heat from the strips an issue?

Thanks!

I use one 12k/453 on my 3g and it's way overkill. 3 Panorama Pro's would be sufficient for the 24g if you want to grow anything. I typically use a equivalency factor of 2 x LEDwattage = MH/T5HOwattage. So using the age old formula of watts per gallon, you would like to target 5wpg so 24g * 5w = 120w / 2 LEDequivalence = 60wpg. Panorama Pro = 19w so you need 3. You may want to mix in one all blue if you like the blue look.

This is what the 12k/453 spectrum looks like:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2076170&page=4

Also, heat will be an issue if mounted in a hood, these things run hot. You will need some type of active cooling (i.e. a small fan) to keep them in operating temp if used in an enclosure or if airflow over the heatsinks is reduced in any way. I have been contemplating adding a fan to mine and it's just sitting out in the open. HTH.