PDA

View Full Version : Connecting two separate systems via one Apex

Ron Popeil
01/12/2012, 11:10 AM
I currently have two separate aquarium systems. One is my main display, two tanks in one system. The other system is a tiered series of tanks on one sump in my garage.

My main display is controlled by an ACIII and X10 modules.

I am toying with the idea of upgrading to an Apex, and then having it control both systems and provide me the ability to monitor both online.

The two tank systems are a wall apart, essentially. The main display is in a room, the other system is in the garage the other room opens directly into.

What would I need to use an Apex to control both systems? Would I still be able to use x10 modules? Or would I have to use several Energy Bars?

How would I connect the garage system to the main apex module? Through a length of cable through my wall or is there a wireless capability?

I have been extremely happy with my ACIII, but figuring out how best to connect two systems seems quite intimidating. If someone could point me to which parts I would need to make this happen, I would sincerely appreciate it!

Thank you!

HeneryH
01/12/2012, 11:24 AM
The aquabus cables (really just USB cables but don't ever connect a USB device into the Apex!) can be run pretty far without problems. I think well over 100 feet but am not sure of the exact distance.

I would think an extra PM1 probe module and EB8 would be enough. The probe module gets you temp and pH. The EB8 gets you outlets.

ciphros
01/12/2012, 03:14 PM
I hate that I'm telling you this - as I was hoping to be able to buy the part from Ken (kenargo), but you can do the same thing with the AC3 using the PX1000 he's got for sale for $45 plus shipping (I think that's right, there's a post not too far back with the items he has for sale). I currently have two AC3's and have one that controlls 2 systems. The PX1000 allows you to have separate pH, temp, ORP and float switches for the 2nd tank.the cord on the PX1000 is only 6 ft long or less, but I've extended mine using Cat5 cable soldered to the line from the PX1000 and then soldering the connector back on at the other end and have it running 50' or so. Been running the tank this way for over a year. I have a couple phantom probes showing up that don't actually exist, but heater control, pH readings and Temp readings have been consistently correct when verified against another known measurement device. I use a DC8 on the 29 that the PX controls, but I would think you'd be able to do the same thing using X10 provided you have signal at the outlets you have the 2nd tank plugged into.

ciphros
01/12/2012, 03:20 PM
I hate that I'm telling you this - as I was hoping to be able to buy the part from Ken (kenargo), but you can do the same thing with the AC3 using the PX1000 he's got for sale for $45 plus shipping (I think that's right, there's a post not too far back with the items he has for sale). I currently have two AC3's and have one that controlls 2 systems. The PX1000 allows you to have separate pH, temp, ORP and float switches for the 2nd tank.the cord on the PX1000 is only 6 ft long or less, but I've extended mine using Cat5 cable soldered to the line from the PX1000 and then soldering the connector back on at the other end and have it running 50' or so. Been running the tank this way for over a year. I have a couple phantom probes showing up that don't actually exist, but heater control, pH readings and Temp readings have been consistently correct when verified against another known measurement device. I use a DC8 on the 29 that the PX controls, but I would think you'd be able to do the same thing using X10 provided you have signal at the outlets you have the 2nd tank plugged into.

Control of the 2nd tank isn't hard at all. Outlet names remain the same as before, and for code that requires the temp or pH from the PX1000, you just use TempA and pHA1 etc.