PDA

View Full Version : to start over or not

Joe.the.Newb
01/12/2012, 01:08 PM
Ive been having a horrible algae problem, red green brown hairy, its all over my tank walls, the rock, the sand, everything. I know the problem is my high Phosphate tap water. Im running into some cash and am thinking to simply put all the live stock in a seperate unit, and clean out my tank completely and start new. Its only FOLR right now so it will be easy. Then i can make some mods to my sump, add a RODI system, auto top off, phos reactor and everything else ill need to make this tank *****in.

Should i just add the stuff, while the tank is running and let the Algae go away slowly in the next few weeks, or do it all the way it should have been done in the begining and cycle my tank brand new with new sand and my old live rock?

In the tank
2 chromis
1 tobie damsel
1 fighting conch
1 BTO (not doing well)
5 snails

Reef Doctor
01/12/2012, 01:16 PM
How old is your tank?

What are your current water parameters?

Joe.the.Newb
01/12/2012, 01:29 PM
This tank is maybe 8 months old.
i am unsure of the peramiters as i only use the strips but they are all good, reading no Nitrite or Nitrate.
I diagnosed the main problem being, I evaporate about 1 gallon a day and had been doing top offs 1/2 gallon twice a day with .08Phos count.
I know its the problem, im wondering if it is recomended to just start over better, or let my critters continue to live here while it slowly recovers when i put in all the upgrades